Create Parent/Child Link When Converting Subtask to Task

Shelli March 22, 2019

Is there a way to automatically create a parent/child link to the parent task when converting a subtask to a task?  I want to keep the relationship between the subtask and its parent task but need to convert the subtasks so that I can move them to a different project.

2 answers

0 votes
Dan Moore August 20, 2020

@Shelli just wondering if you found a solution for this? We are looking for the same. Need to convert some subtasks to tasks but want them to remain linked to the parent issue.

arieli April 5, 2021

Hi @Dan Moore , did you find any solution for that?

Thanks!

0 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2019

Hi @Shelli 

When you make a sub-task, it's automagically related to its parent. Other issue types aren't. However, you can use any of the existing (or create a new one) link types to link the two tickets. It won't be a "parent/sub" relationship but all the links have an inward and an outward direction so you can have it outward toward what used to be the child task.

mike

Shelli March 25, 2019

I know the difference between tasks/sub-tasks and links.  What I'm looking for is a way to automatically create a link when I convert a sub-task to a task.

arieli August 11, 2020

Hi @Shelli did you find a solution for that?

Amanda Coughlin August 27, 2021

I am wondering this as well. Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

hen September 21, 2021

We were actually looking for the same - and as far as we found only using scripts (e.g. with Scriptrunner) to fully automate this behavior.

Suggest an answer