Convert sub task to task type

Tzippy Levine January 9, 2019

I looked around and saw that I should be able to click ... and move my subtask to a task.

I see a message

N/A Change Issue Type There are no other sub-task issue types defined in the system

I am the admin of the site and I am not sure how to set up that a sub task can become a task

8 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted

found it under the edit flow right above the list of sub tasks

Thank you

25 votes
Mihai Stumbea
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2019

I can't see a way to change sub-task to task. I'm just creating a task and then move the subtask to the new task.

Darlene Ashleigh Jeter November 27, 2019

Here is a better picture for you provided you are using the cloud. Click the "convert to issue" and you will be able to accomplish your task.

Help.png

Like # people like this
Amirali Ommi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 26, 2021

the solutions with pictures are more helpful :D 

Like # people like this
Sandeep Kumar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 29, 2021

simple straight forward valuable solution.

Cyril Duchon-Doris
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 27, 2021

So what am I doing/seing wrong ? I have no such button "convert to issue" and my interface is quite different from the 2019 screenshot.
Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 16.10.23.png

EDIT : this is what Deepak Thirunavukkarasu call a "next-gen project" and you have to hit "move" and then pick subtask -> task
Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 16.13.09.png

It seems like the JIRA team forgot to create (sub-)tasks to update the wiki when they created those "next-gen projects"... at the time of writing this doc is obsolete for next-gen projects 

Like # people like this
Lindsey Dengler May 18, 2022

Indeed. This would be a value add to be able to change the issue type to a sub-task w/o having to move it. How do we vote on this?

Like # people like this
Kelley Johnson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 15, 2022

I've tried this, and I'm unable to change the "type" when I move a sub-task. In the "Change Issue Type" area, it says, "There are no other sub-task issue types associated with this project.", which seems to imply that sub-tasks can only be converted to other issue types that are still UNDER the level of tasks / stories... which kinda defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do. 

Does anyone know of any work arounds for this?Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 5.54.48 AM.png

Like porterk123 likes this
11 votes
Deepak Thirunavukkarasu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 24, 2020

The workaround for this in `next-gen projects` is to use the `Move` option to move the card to the same project but with a different issue type.  It worked for me.

Matt Pitman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 2, 2021

Thank you!

2 votes

Thank you.

The view is a little different. (I am not even sure why and I am not used to this layout)

There are 3 dots where I can move, clone configure etc. There is no option there to create or convert subtask.

To change a story to a task etc I just click on the icon next to the jira number and click change issue type. For sub task its disabled

2 votes
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 12.23.08 PM.png

Tzippy,

Go to your ticket under MORE --> Convert to...

You can also convert a task to a sub-task the same way.

Victor

David Brad
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 13, 2020

Alright, state you have task1.

You need to include some new sub tasks beneath it.

Snap on  of undertaking 1, hit 'new assignment help online beneath'. Before you type in the errand, drag it a piece to right to make it a sub task. Hit enter when done and you will get another dark sub task. Rehash.

on the off chance that you do the indent that way and, at that point hit enter it places you into another errand brief to include an undertaking at a similar degree of indent. Extremely decent. I never thought sub tasks were an issue in Todoist tbh

Jim Ryan May 13, 2021

Hi @Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems] 

I think your solution is based on the "classic" issue view. In the "new" issue view, I can't see anywhere to convert a subtask to a task. See screenshot below. There is no "More" menu.

Can you suggest how to do this?

Screenshot 2021-05-13 101332.jpg

Darlene Ashleigh Jeter May 13, 2021

@Jim Ryan  It is in the new view also. Did you hit the 3 buttons next to the "share" option? It should display the below (provided you have permission):

New_Issue_View...png

New_Issue_View.png

Jim Ryan May 14, 2021

Thanks for your answer, @Darlene Ashleigh Jeter !

Unfortunately I don't seem to have that option. I'm a Site Administrator and an Admin on the project, so I don't think it's a permissions issue. (Also, I can change a subtask to a task using "Move".)

:(

Screenshot 2021-05-14 080310.jpg

Like # people like this
Levar Berry
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 23, 2021

I currently do not see a why to convert subtask into Task.

Levar Berry
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 23, 2021

AHH .. FOUND IT ..  "MOVE" 

Like # people like this
Sony Abigail Salazar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

The option you can use to convert a sub task into a task is the "Convert to issue"

moni.png

Like porterk123 likes this
Marc Sammartano
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 18, 2023

"Convert to Issue" does not work in my environment, but "Move" does work: it allows you to "move" the Issue from Sub-task to Task.

0 votes
porterk123
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 19, 2023

For JIRA 'Server' version try:

More -> Convert to Issue -> Dropdown for 'New Issue Type' -> select 'Task'

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-discussions/How-to-check-if-JIRA-is-server-or-cloud/td-p/1294469

0 votes
sol solomon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 9, 2023

The convert to subtask, task, etc works, but is very time consuming. Will there eventually be a faster way to do this? Would love to be able to drag n drop from the board. Moving sub tasks to different parents, etc.  I keep trying to do this even though I know it isn't possible.......yet.

0 votes
Manasnan Lanoi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 22, 2022

The option you can see to use convert sub task to another type is on the top.

this picture below may help you guy ;D

Capture.PNG

Suggest an answer