Can I create multiple Scrum boards under 1 project and maintain different stories backlog?

Tejash Patel November 5, 2019

Can I create multiple Scrum boards under 1 project and maintain different stories backlog for each Scrum board? 

Basically, we will have FOUR different swim lanes for our team of 11 people. Hence, we want to break the teams and assign one swim lane to them. So, how do I do it? I can have multiple Scrum boards and add respective team members to it. But wouldn't it have same stories backlog? That is what I don't want. I want each team to maintain their own user stories backlog. Can you please suggest if this is possible within one Jira Project? We want them to plan and execute independently BUT the sprint dates will remain same for everyone. Can you please help or guide here? Much appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Evan Golden {VisualScript}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 5, 2019

If I am understanding your question correctly, yes you can do this.  You will need to have different filters per board, and in order to use the same issue type, you can use labels or some other field to differentiate the stories in different boards from one another.

So Board 1 will have stories that only have Board 1 label or select list value.

Board 2 will have stories that only have Board 2 label or select list value, and so on.

If you want some of the same stories across boards, you can use a second label, or a multi-select list and select 2 values on those issues.

1 vote
neetu.dhatt April 7, 2020

I am having trouble creating multiple boards from one project in Next gen - any help will be great

Suggest an answer