Admin - Make custom field default in issue creation

louis.deguyenro November 10, 2020

Hello,

I created a custom field "Effort" to record the expected number of days a task is expected to require. I would like now all new project to have this "Effort" field within the issue creation page, how can I do that?

Thank you for the help,

Best,

Louis

1 answer

0 votes
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2020

Take a look here for some answers : https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/add-a-custom-field-to-a-screen/

Basically, you have to create a screen scheme where your create screen by default displays that field.

That screen should exist by default when you create a project. You can just change the screen for a project and reuse that screen scheme for all your new project :)

Let me know if it helped you.

Hi Flavien, thank you for answering. I looked at that article before. My custom field is already associated to all the screens, yet does not show when creating a new project, nor in existing projects. 

What am I missing?

Like Flavien Gache likes this
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2020

Could you go to the summary tab in your project settings, then go to your screen scheme and screens related to your project please ?

I would like to see some screenshots of that to help you :)

Picture2.pngPicture1.pngIs this what you are after?

I cannot find a summary tab or access my project screens

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2020

To go to project settings, you need to clic on your project and clic the cog on the left side, bottom corner. Then you will have the summary tab on the left list. You can access all the schemes/screens of your project here.
On your second screenshot, you have a list of screen scheme. One of them (I don't know which one because I don't know the name of your project) is assigned to your project. You can click on the name of the issue type screen scheme linked to it on the middle column.

Then you will have a list of the issue type screen schemes linked to the project. You may find the  task you want to add the field in. There must be a  create screen somewhere.

I suggest you take a look here : https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-screen-schemes/ 

to understand how to add a field to your screen.

Once you've done it, you will only need to use the modified project as a model to create your future projects ;)

louis.deguyenro November 12, 2020

Capture.PNGIn my project setting I see no such thing as a "summary tab on the left list"

louis.deguyenro November 12, 2020

The page link you sent does not work

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

ok so you won't need the page I sent you.

I did not know but your project is indeed a Next-gen which works a bit differently. You need to go in project settings/issue types and create directly your new field on the right.

You won't be able to use the Next gen project with all the specifities you just set because it is not possible to use a next gen project as a template to create a new project. To do that, you must use a classic project. You will be able to add a field from the method I explained above :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events