Adding comments to a specific field in the Dashboard

Daniel Malament September 19, 2022

Are you able to comment on a specific field in the dashboard rather than commenting on the epic or task? It would be great to use the dashboard more like a google sheet, where someone can highlight something specific on the dashboard and comment directly to this? Is there any functionality like this?

i.e only comment on the "t-shirt" size of the project

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 4.20.35 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2022

Hello @Daniel Malament 

Welcome to the community.

No, there is no functionality like that in Jira natively. Comments are associated to issues, not specific fields.

Daniel Malament September 20, 2022

Thanks Trudy. I am also curious if there is any way to sort history? My team is posting weekly updates to a field in each Epic. We would love to be able to track these updates over time. Is there a way to do this? History seems to be one function; however, as history does not have a way of sorting it is not the cleanest way to look at these updates over a given period of time. Thank you!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

History can be sorted by the dates of the events, and it includes all events.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 11.38.12 AM.png

You might want to take a look at the third party apps that provide additional functionality for interacting with issue history.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=issue%20history

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2022

Hi @Daniel Malament,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

No, you cannot comment on things on the Dashboard, it can only be done from within the issue itself. If you also have access to Confluence you could create a page in there and add data from Jira to it and then use the inline comment, but you would not be able to do it in the Jira macro. 

I recognize the Dashboard as its limits but the closer we can get to it functioning like a google sheet the more ideal it becomes for different stakeholders having view into my team's projects. Are there other functionalities I can leverage that will allow people to comment/utilize the dashboard in this way?

*has

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

No, the comments are for issues, not for fields or dashboards.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer