Adding a component which has a space in the it through the importer

Samuel Ashley May 12, 2022

Hi all,

I'm using the importer to add some test cases into JIRA, but when I add a component to the test cases which has a space in the component name (example 'upgrade project') I get an invalid component error back and so I'm having to leave the component out and then mass update the test cases afterwards.

I've tried to use different methods to show it as one word instead of a separate component such as speak marks, apostrophes, underscores, even wild card items such as enclosing it in percentages etc... but so far to no avail.

Does anyone know if its possible to add a component through the importer which would have a space in it?

thanks all in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2022

Hi Samuel, 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!  I am sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing regarding your issue imports.  Just to confirm the steps you are taking when running into the issue: 

1. (Gear Icon) > System > Import > External System Import
  2. Choose the project to import into
  3. Choose CSV and map the field values from the CSV to the field values in the issue
  4. Begin the import

I just ran a quick test using a component with a space in it and does look to have imported for me.  So I am want to make sure I am taking the same steps you are in trying to replicate the issue.  

Could you also potential post here the header you have in your CSV file, along with maybe a sample line or two?  

Best, 

Andy

Samuel Ashley May 17, 2022

Hi Andy,

thank you for getting back to me, it looks like I've made a mistake, the importer we are using is part of the Zephyr plugin, I apologise for the error, I will ask this question on their board.

Thanks

Sam

Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2022

Hi Sam, 

Thanks for the additional information.  And no need to apologize at all.  If there anything I can do to assist please feel free to reply back on this thread.  Best of luck in the continued troubleshooting! 

Take care, 

Andy

0 votes
Asad Mehmood June 29, 2022

Hi All,

I'm also observing an issue similar to this. I have imported excel file that has space in component field. E.g. Component in Zephyr is "my doc". While I'm trying to add my doc in excel sheet it fails to import data. I have tried different things but still not luck. e.g. "my doc", my_doc, my doc, 'my doc' etc

Please suggest any solution?

Thanks all in advance!

TC,

Asad

Suggest an answer