Mail notifications are no longer sent even though sending test emails does work

Peter De Haeck November 10, 2020

It's been over a year since we stopped receiving email notifications when updating/assigning/... tickets. 

Changes made over the past year:

- upgraded Jira version from 7.x to 8.5.1 -- db is still Oracle 11.2.0.1 unfortunately. Oracle upgrade to 19c is planned Q1/21.

- user emails domain has changed

- we have to kill and restart tomcat8.exe every week at least, with 170+ Win threads active and CPU at 90%. This has gotten worse since the 8.5.1 upgrade.

- some changes happened on our mail server config (load balancer, fw rules,...) but those should IMO be covered now since test emails are sent OK. 

Incoming mail handler also works like a charm.

We get several errors in the atlassian.log, but the atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log hasn't been updated since 9-AUG-2019 => the system apparently doesn't even TRY to send a mail.

Please advise how we can tackle this problem - which logs/settings/... to check etc.

Best,

PeterDH

1 answer

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2020

Peter,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having such trouble. That sounds really frustrating!

I'd start by following the recommendations on this document. I don't know what you have and haven't tried, so some of these may be redundant for you.

I'd specifically take a look at your Mail queue and whether or not you actually have an outgoing mail service set up. It is possible something could have been been corrupted with the outgoing mail service, preventing regular emails from being sent.

Peter De Haeck November 12, 2020

Hey,

Thanks for the link and the hints -- I think enabling -Dmail.debug will be the first thing to do, because according to the Notification Helper there should be mails yet there's nothing in the queue BUT there are several connection / timeout / IMAP authent / ... errors in the log files. Anyway, once I do get this thing working again, I will post the solution here too.

Best,

PeterDH

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events