Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comment required when approving option not displayed

Phil Kang December 18, 2023

I need to require a comment when an approver approves an issue in a JSM workflow. When I edit the workflow status and configure the Approval, there is no check box option available for "comment required when approving". We recently went from a version (JSM 5.4) that didn't have the feature to JSM 5.12 that should have this feature. Any ideas why it isn't showing up as an option?

4 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Phil Kang January 31, 2024

After reaching out to Atlassian, they said this feature is not available at the Server level and only applies to Data Center versions.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2024

@Phil Kang -

Thanks for your update.  As server env is reaching EOL next month, so you should already planned to move DC or Cloud for your env.

Best of luck on the migration.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2023

@Phil Kang -

Looking at the JSM Service Desk project (out of the box DataCenter) default WF with approval (i.e. Service Request Fulfilment with Approvals workflow for Jira Service Management), the transition for Approved/Declined transitions doesn't have the option to enforce comments required out of the box.  The Declined transition does have a transition pop-up window.

Your documentation link is for Jira version 9.12.x,  It looks like this function is available for 9.7x or higher only.  What version of your env is on at this moment?

From the Cloud env, the same out of the box JSM approval WF - For the "Declined" transition, the validator is already there to required comments (see below)

2023-12-20_13-09-05.png

Your only other options to enforce the comments will be to create/ensure a transition pop-up screen associated with those two transitions, and then add an validator which requires comments.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2023

Hi @Phil Kang 

Welcome to the community.

I second the reply form @Joseph Chung Yin

An alternative is to purchase an app that is able to set a comment mandatory as a workflow action.

The following apps on the marketplace are able to extend workflow options:

• JMWE
  • JWT
  • JSU
1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2023

@Phil Kang -

Welcome to the community.  If you are asking to ensure Comments is required during the approval step transition in the portal UI, then it is not possible.

Currently, there is an outstanding enhancement request for the Atlassian team, I recommend you to add yourself as a watch for this request for the server(DC env) - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4922

Sorry.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Phil Kang December 19, 2023

The link that you provided says there's no way to make the comment field mandatory for "Transition". I just want it to be available for the user during "Approval" but I cant find the option to make the comment window appear when an approver selects approve or deny.

Looking at the screenshot from the JSM Documentation next to configuring your approval, there is a check box for comment required when approving. I don't see that option when I am configuring the approval.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-jira-service-management-approvals-938847527.html#:~:text=If%20you%20want%20approvers%20to,they%20can%20leave%20their%20comments

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2023

@Phil Kang -

As also mentioned by @Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam in this case, you will need to obtain third party add-on to provide you with that functionality to customize your WF.

Hope this makes sense.  If both of our suggestions helped you, please click on "Accept answer" when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Phil Kang December 20, 2023

Unfortunately neither comment answered my question about Approvals. The documentation I linked clearly shows that the option I'm looking for should be available.

Like Mizuho Kinay likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events