πŸ“£ Product update: the timeline view is ready for you to try! 😍

Hi everyone,

I don't think I need to introduce the concept since a lot of you have been asking for it for a long while. Basically you can now create monthly/quarterly roadmaps in Jira Product Discovery, while leveraging the existing flexible field system:

6590811a-c29d-442a-bce6-3fa64a380a1c.png

To try this: "Create a view" > "Create a timeline"

As part of setting up the view the app will prompt you to create two new date fields. They're different to regular Jira date fields in that they support different levels of granularity (day, month, quarter) for more "honest" communication of commitments. This view does not support the standard Jira date fields.

b4bb0a80-b4c9-43cc-bdc3-c733e99aca0f.png

Note: you don't have to use a timeline view. Personally I'm not going to use it and I'll stick to a Now/Next/Someday board as I find it much more useful to frame roadmap discussions with everyone. But we understand that, for many of you, being able to communicate timeframes is important. So here you go. 

29 comments

Comment

Ivor October 31, 2022

woho! this is an amazing update.

Liviu Lica October 31, 2022

This is perfect heart. Big thanks to the team!!

habib rahman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2022

Big thanks to the team!!

Prasad Thammineni
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2022

Love the update. Thank you. It will save me a ton of time from manually doing it in confluence. 

Raziman Dom - Ricksoft
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2022

Interesting updates! I'm gonna try it now πŸ˜

Sam.Youssif November 1, 2022

Super! Thank you very much.

Jan-Hendrik Spieth November 1, 2022

Nice ! Gave it a quick try - works well! We'll be sure to experiment with this view type.

One quick observation:

The two date fields can be somewhat tedious to find in the idea sidebar (depending on how you name them).

Of course we can add the date fields to the view - but that kind of totally clutters the view and kind of just duplicates the date info:

Screenshot 2022-11-01 103637.png

So maybe the date fields could be separated into a dedicated, expandable field section?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2022

Hi @Jan-Hendrik Spieth - if these fields are important, why wouldn't you simply pin them in the idea sidebar?

Like β€’ Jan-Hendrik Spieth likes this
Michelle Grady November 1, 2022

Thank you so much for the update!

Melissa Dudley November 1, 2022

This is a brilliant new feature. Thank you! 

Question  - in the second screen shot there is a field Atlas Project with On Track and at Risk Status - are these links to other Jira tickets? 

Thanks

Melissa

Christina Mulholland November 1, 2022

Love this update and loving this product in general! Is there also a way to visually show which issues are linked in this view? I've added 'Linked Issues' as a field but it doesn't show visually which issues are linked

Hi @Jan-Hendrik Spieth - if these fields are important, why wouldn't you simply pin them in the idea sidebar?

@Tanguy CrussonI wouldn't want to pin them, because

• pinning is global, but the date fields are not that relevant at all in other views/contexts
  • unless you name the date fields so that the end up right side-by-side in the vertical list of fields (alphabetical order!), even when pinned, they might be dislocated from each other, with other fields in between or around them.

Question - in the second screen shot there is a field Atlas Project with On Track and at Risk Status - are these links to other Jira tickets?

@Melissa DudleyTanguy is (again! :-)) teasing us with spoilers of the future Atlas integration ;-)

Looks like "links" to Atlas projects (and goals, respectively).

See this thread here with info from Tanguy about Atlas:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-questions/How-are-you-managing-OKRs-with-JPD/qaq-p/2055887

And here's Atlas - give it a try - I like it!:
https://www.atlassian.com/software/atlas

Like β€’ Melissa Dudley likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2022

@Jan-Hendrik Spieth @Melissa Dudley yes that is a sneak peek of the Atlas integration that's "coming soon" (TM) πŸ˜‰

Like β€’ # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2022

@Jan-Hendrik Spieth never mind I just realized we didn't add the date fields to the "fields in this view" section in the idea by default when you're on a timeline view. That's an oversight. We'll do that, thanks!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2022

@Christina Mulholland it's not currently possible. Are you trying to visualize dependencies or something else?

Like β€’ Christina Mulholland likes this
Jan-Hendrik Spieth November 2, 2022

never mind I just realized we didn't add the date fields to the "fields in this view" section in the idea by default when you're on a timeline view. That's an oversight. We'll do that, thanks!

Thanks @Tanguy Crusson. Just to be sure to avoid confusion: "fields in this view" usually means those fields are actually visible on the element "cards" in the view.

Personally, I wouldn't want the date fields on the cards. The starts and ends of the timeline object already convey that information.

I was merely asking about a "better" presentation of the date fields in the side bar. But of course, if you can add to them to the sidebar's "field in this view" section even without showing them on the timeline elements, it might be an improvement.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2022

@Jan-Hendrik Spieth "fields in this view" is a few things:

• fields that are visible on the cards
  • field use to generate board columns or group by sections
  • and we'll add to it "timeline fields". They won't show on the cards.
Jesse Chelin November 2, 2022

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but getting some funky behaviour when selecting dates.

For example, trying to select April 2023, and it keeps selecting May 2023 for my End Date. 

Also, trying to select the date shown on the timeline itself. Similar behaviour where the date I am selecting is not what actually gets selected.

Otherwise, very cool.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 3, 2022

Thanks @Jesse Chelin , we had some funky behaviour in the past due to dates+timezones that we thought we fixed. We'll look into it again, and will fix that

Like β€’ Jesse Chelin likes this
Christina Mulholland November 7, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson yes visualise dependencies. It would help with logically sequencing the work when planning, so can plan in work which must be done before other work, rather than trying to remember or keep checking each time we want to make a change

Like β€’ Tanguy Crusson likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

@Jan-Hendrik Spieth we shipped a change that always shows the start and end dates in the "fields in this view" section.

Also, you can now sort ideas in a timeline based on a field.

Aaron Mosny November 15, 2022

Any timeline on when we will have beta access for the Atlas <> JPD integration? Great work so far team!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2022

@Aaron Mosny unless I just jinxed myself you can expect an announcement in the community in the next week or two.

Like β€’ # people like this
Aaron Mosny November 16, 2022

Amazing, thanks @Tanguy Crusson !

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events