Use Structure with linked JIRA instances

Svante Gustafsson October 15, 2015

HEy,

We are trying out Structure and have two JIRA instances linked together with Application Links.

Is it possible to have issues from both instances in the same structure?

Thnx in advance!

// Svante

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2015

Hi Svante,

I'm afraid this is not possible at the moment, but this was requested before, so once we release the new major version - Structure 3.0, we'll see what can be done in this direction. It should be possible to show some sort of issue copies with a number of fields. They won't be the real fully functional issues, but will be good enough for seeing the general overview of the progress across several JIRAs and other similar tasks.

What is the use case that you have? If you can provide some more details, we'd be really grateful.

Thank you,

Eugene (ALM Works)

Thnx for your response! My use-case would be to use Structure in a Federated JIRA setup. Being able to "group" issues from different JIRA instances into one common structure

Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2015

Right! But how much of the jira functionality would you expect? Do I understand correctly that the main use case would be just seeing all issues altogether with progresses and statuses for tracking purposes? That should be doable, but for example, implementing editing for the issues from another JIRA right in the structure would be more complicated.

Ahh, got what you mean! No, my use-case would just include the tracking purpose. If you need to update the issue you should do that from the origin instance. I understand that it would be extremely challenging to update an issue remotely :-)

Bruce MacNeil June 19, 2020

Hi, do any recent versions of Structure now offer this functionality, the ability to include issues from two Jira instances into a single tracking view?  My use case sounds the same as was noted in this thread.  We would like a Structure view that tracks progress in Jira instance A to be able to also include linked issues (issue links) from Jira instance B.  Jira A and B have reciprocal issue linking capability.  Thank you!

Marc Smith April 19, 2021

@Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_ Hi, were also in a very similar situation.  We have 2 JIRA cloud instances using reciprocal links and would like to use Structure to track the progress in instance A of linked items in instance B.

Did this ever go into the product as a feature?

Thanks

Amal - Seibert Solutions June 22, 2021

Hi there, 

was this already realized. My customer would also only want to use it for overview/ planning and tracking purposes. 

Best regards

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2021

Hi, @Amal - Seibert Solutions. Unfortunately, no. We just aren't seeing enough demand for this (versus other things), at this time. 

Feel free to reach out to us via partners@almworks.com if you'd like to share some additional details about the opportunity that might make this a higher priority, or to add yourself, or your customer, to the notification list for this feature.

-dave [ALM Works]

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer