To change value in date field, can I require (a) an approver, and (b) select reason?

San Miguel Tejada April 1, 2020

Currently, this field if not even required, but, we are starting to consider changing that. Further, I would like to add a list of available options in either drop down or radio/check boxes as reasons to change this date. Once that is all done, I would like the change to transition to an approver before it actually committed. Is this all possible?

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2020

Hi,

If I understand your request here, you are wanting to be able to force users to have an approver and a reason before a date field is changed.  The use of approvals is something specific to Jira Service Desk, approvals allow for workflows to work slightly differently here.  That said, I do believe this is possible to configure within a Jira Service Desk project.  The steps I have posted below are intended for Jira Service Desk Cloud, however these could still be possible with Jira Service Desk Server, it's just that the project automation is a bit different and the screenshots might not look identical here.

As I see it, you would need to first make sure that this request type is one that has approvals obviously.  Also this request type will need to have a select type custom field for the reason (my examples this is called 'Reason4Change'), and a custom field such as 'Requested Date'.  These have to be added to the screen first, and then make sure those fields appear on the Request type in question.  If you don't also add it to the request type, then the customer in Jira Service Desk won't be able to see that field in the customer portal.

Once that is done, you can use automation to wait until the issue is transitioned from the waiting approval status, to whatever status is expected to be after that approved status,

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 2.55.20 PM.png

and then use the action of edit field to copy the value in the 'Requested Date' to the desired Date field.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 3.00.44 PM.png

If the request is declined (not approved) then the status never reaches that state and the automation is not executed.  But I think this could work for the use case you have outlined here.   Also you don't technically need to use automation to change the date field, but I suggest this because in Jira Service Desk projects, once the request is created by users in the customer role, they typically do not have access to change any of the fields in that request.  Only licensed Jira users with access to the main site will have the ability to change that field.

If you made the 'Requested Date' field required there, then this is one way to make sure that the customer that created the request filled out that value before the request was created.

Is this helpful?  Please let me know either way.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events