Jira ticket numbers are not in sequence

Harshith Julapelli June 24, 2020

Whenever we create a new ticket in Jira the ticket numbers are not in order. The ticket id jumped from DEVO-4 to DEVO-22 and similarly from 189 to 291. This is happening only for our DevOps project. 

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this?

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
David Silva
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 3, 2024

Hello team, I have just experienced the same in Jira Cloud.

I created a brand new project, and the first issueid was 2.

We created other and it went 4,6,8,10

Why is this happening? We hadn't realized earlier, but it also happens in other projects.

Again, this is in Jira Cloud, a new projects; no automations set, nothing set yet.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2020

How are you creating the issues?  Are people typing them in, or is it via email or a combination of both?  (I'd ask about automations normally, but you said you've not got any)

Harshith Julapelli June 25, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- We are creating the issues manually from Jira UI. 

0 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2020

Hi @Harshith Julapelli ,

Does your DevOps project has automations or pipelines interacting with it? I've seen this when issues were created by a third party and removed on failed script or pipeline. The ID is then increased even though we can't find the intermediary issues as they are removed by the 3rd party tool/integration!

Thanks

Harshith Julapelli June 24, 2020

Hi @miikhy ,

No, we don't have any automations or pipelines with this Jira project. The only tool we integrated with this project is git hub for viewing commits and pull requests.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events