Jira Board with all Epics

23creativeACT November 24, 2019

Hello Jria Community,

Im in the process of learning Jira and all the cool stuff i can do. But im stuck with a little problem.

In a perfect world i would love for a very simple overview of all projects in my system. Where each issue in this new overview board would be an epic for a project. I would also have custom statuses for each epic (like due this week, Next week, This month, Today, etc)

In an ideal world i would love to be able to drag these epics to on of these new custom columns (like Due this week for example) and set their status as something independent for this board only. 

Is it possible to make this happen? From my testing i can create a board that displays all Epics from all projects, so thats ok. But i can't seem to set an epics status from this "overview" board. My thinking is that i have a different workflow from the project that the epic is from? 

Does this make sense? or am i rambling here?

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2019

Hi @23creativeACT - from my understanding, you want a board that contains Epics that you can map to custom columns. Some things here:

• Your workflow is on a per-project basis, you can have 1 workflow on many projects
  • All issues in that project follow the same workflow
  • There is a due date field that you can set instead of managing an entirely new workflow

So based on this, you could do either way (depending on what you really want)

Add Duedate Field (if you want to use Due Date)

1. Go to your Project Settings > Fields > Edit Fields and make Due Date required OR;
  2. Go to one of your Epics > 'Where is my field?' > Find Due Date and open your Field Screen Configuration (see screenshot below)adding field.PNG
  3. Open that link and add 'Due Date'
  4. There's a few more ways to add fields to screens but I believe those are the easiest
  5. More info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/defining-a-screen-938847288.html

Change Column names on Epic Board (if you don't want to use Due Date, or create a new Workflow)

1. You could also use the same workflow but change the column names that you see
  2. Go to your Board > Configure > Columns
  3. Rename the title of your columns on your board that is displaying your Epics to what you said (i.e. Due Today, Due Tomorrow, Due Next Week)
  4. More info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/configuring-columns-938845277.html

Create a new workflow

1. This is odd because your stories would be in a different project than your Epics
  2. Go to Jira Admin > Workflows > Add workflow
  3. Give it a name and create your flow
  4. Associate that with your project
  5. More info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver/how-do-i-build-the-workflow-i-want-938846175.html

Sorry for the info overload but Jira is super configurable so there are many ways to get something done. Please let me know if you want further information into any one of these options!

Thanks

Suggest an answer