How do you create 1 board with multiple workflows?

Gabriel Brown July 4, 2018

I have 3 different workflows in one project, but because they are different the board does not work. Is there some way to change this?

2 answers

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2018

Hello,

What do you mean the board does not work? You just need to map statuses of each workflow to correct columns.

Gabriel Brown July 5, 2018

When I click on the board tab in my project there is just a message that says:

Hm... don't see your work here?

Don't worry, your issues are still safe and sound. You can't see them here because your current project is not configured to use boards. Learn more about configuring your business projects for boards.

How do you map the workflow statuses? I can't find any settings for the board when I go to the settings of the project, and when I go to the workflow settings I don't see that as an option. I'm doing a business project if that information helps.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2018

Ok, got it.

Business projects are very limited in configuration. You should use Jira Software boards

Like Gabriel Beaudoin likes this
Demis Estabridis August 22, 2019

Hi @Alexey Matveev ,

what does it exactly mean? That it is simply not possible to put together in the same board issues from Business and Software projects? Or is it possible with some extra work/workaround?

I want to see in a single (software) Board, issues from a business project called Task Management that uses a custom (TTO) workflow and from my current software project. TTO workflow is custom because I even mapped the same 3 statuses from that workflow to reuse exactly the same statuses I used on my software project.

Thanks!

1 vote
Martin Bevan-Jenkins July 4, 2018

You can set workflows per card type. It would be good to have a few more details of why you need 3 separate workflows. I'll give an example of what I have seen in the past and how I would set it up in JIRA.

Let's say you have bugs and stories in your backlog and bugs need to have an investigation step prior to being worked on and stories do not.

1. For this I would build a bug workflow that will include the investigation step (Settings -> workflows -> add workflow)
  2. Then I'd assign the bug to that workflow (Settings -> workflows-> Assign link under new workflow)
  3. Then I'd add a column on the board for the new status. (Go to board -> 3 dot menu in right hand corner -> Board Settings -columns)
  4. Then drag the new status from unmapped to the new column (on the same menu)
Gabriel Brown July 5, 2018

Thanks for the help, but when I go to the board there is no button to go to settings, and when I go to settings there is no button to go to the board. The board screen just says this: 

Hm... don't see your work here?

Don't worry, your issues are still safe and sound. You can't see them here because your current project is not configured to use boards. Learn more about configuring your business projects for boards.

and a "view issues" button at the bottom. Is this different in a business project than other projects? I'm new to Jira and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Rob Kneip October 22, 2021

Dude the whole platform is built to create separate workflows and schemes for separate issue types. Everything works well except the Board. It will only allow one workflow. Its retarded. It should have the ability to have multiple boards for multiple work flows. Are you not understanding the question or have you never went beyond one issue and one work flow. This is a major flaw in the platform. The question is when will it be fixed!

Like # people like this
Michael Gordon November 21, 2021

That's exactly the issue I came across with... In our startup we have Delivery workflow+board. And now we also need to add a Discovery workflow+new board (sort of backlog refinement), which would be operating with the issues from the same backlog. Very unfortunate if this is not possible within a company-wide jira-cloud setup! Or is it?

sanjay_sapra December 6, 2021

Can anyone suggest which workflow coming on board. I have 3 different workflow in my single project and how I can change the same 

Michael Gordon December 27, 2021

Hi Sanjay, all 3 workflows can be servicing your board. But that's possible only if you assign 1 workflow per 1 set of issue types and the other two workflows to service the other issue types. It's impossible in jira to run several workflows per 1 board servicing exactly the same issue types.

Like Klara Zikesova likes this
luca_coraci July 21, 2022

It's incredible we cant have a business project with multiple boards each one with a customized workflow. This missing feature makes me want to migrate somewhere else. Please enable it asap. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer