How can I show a custom field like we show description?

I'm not a JIRA admin, so I don't have access to do any changes. The JIRA admin thinks we need a plugin to achieve what I want, but I'm not so sure.

According to this tutorial, it's very simple to create a custom field (text box). But showing it like we show description is a according the the JIRA admin not possible without a plugin.

Skjermbilde Jira.PNG 

Is it possible, out of the box, to show custom fields like we show description and issue links / comments?

Following Charlie Misonne's suggestion, we only get this. The custom field becomes a part of the Details section. We want this custom field to be a custom editable section like shown on the pic below.

Skjermbilde Jira 2.PNG

Can this be done following Vitaliy's suggestion?

2 answers

1 accepted

Not sure what you mean by "like we show description"

If you mean in the agile view at the right of you board you board admin can do the following:

• board configuration -> issue Detail View
    Here you can define which fields to show

Great. And if I click the issue link and get a full view of the issue, will it show here as well?

that's another setting but probably it will

Your admin should add the field to the screen used for the "view" operation. He can check which screen is in use in the screen scheme of the project and add the field to the appropriate screen

Charilie (and @vitaliy zapolskyy), see my above update. Is it clearer now what I'm trying to achieve? smile

Ok so you want it under a separate header

I don't think that's possible

Issue type screen scheme define what screens are used in "Create", "Edit" and "View" modes (its possible to use the same screen).

Screen you've provided seems to be "View" screen.

JIRA Admin can add desired custom field to this screen. The most convenient way is to use Admin helper: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/jira-admin-helper-802593078.html

Note: JIRA shows Description placeholder even when there is no description (it is blank). Any blank custom field will not be shown. I doubt if any plugin can override this behavior.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 11 hours ago in Confluence

Calling all marketing teams who use Confluence - we want to hear from you!

Hi Community! me again 🙂 If you’re a marketing team using Confluence, we want to hear your story! How did you start using Confluence? What are your use cases? What have been some of the benefits?...

41 views 1 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you