Disable creating a new version or component from the issue screen in JIRA 6.3.13 and above

Joel Boulet November 6, 2015

Since we upgraded to JIRA 6.3.13 all version and component fields allow administrators to create versions and components from issue screens. This has led to some versions (and components) being created accidentally so I'd like a way to turn off that feature, restoring it to the old functionality of only editing versions and components on the respective administration pages for the project.

5 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2015

There's no way to turn it off - Atlassian believe it's far too useful.  You'll need to start messing with the core code, or javascript hacks to disable it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2016

It's been raised a few times, Atlassian have closed them as "won't do"

0 votes
Tobias Knauss March 28, 2016

still the same in 7.1.2. Have you created an issue on their JIRA about that already? I'd vote for it. I also want to make that configurable.

0 votes
Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2015

Hi, i also look for a way to disable this funktion.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2015

What issue screen? Create screen? Edit Screen? Transition screen? 

Joel Boulet November 6, 2015

This happens on all issue screens that those fields are on.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2015

Yes, Just like what Nic said, no way to disable it natively or limit the admins role to those who really know what an admin's responsibility should be.

Jeff Louwerse
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2015

Just a question.. I am testing an upgrade to 6.3.15 and I can not find this feature in our install and I can't find any documentation on it either. .Is this only available though inline edit as I don't see it on any edit or transition screens? We have inline edit disabled by default and Scriptrunner ensures it is disabled.. I am hopeful that disabling inline edit kills this feature as we have our own version manager which requires extra meta data for each version.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2015

Yes, we are talking about the View Screen here (on which edits are always controlled by the Edit Screen)

Jeff Louwerse
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2015

thanks.

Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2015

Really? I which version of Jira? I have inline edit disabled and sadly i can add a new version in view screen (Jia 6.4.10)

Suggest an answer