Adding connection points to a workflow step

JeffJ May 25, 2016

This may seem like a semi-silly question/request, but when going to explain a workflow to someone who isn't necessarily versed in Jira, the diagram is a very useful tool.. except when you can't read anything.  Each Step would appear to have a max of 8 connection points - yes I know you can add some number of connections to one point, but from a visual perspective, that can get confusing, especially if you're short on space and the transition labels start to overlap.  Is it possible to add more points (should this go to support as a feature request maybe?)

I realize that having enough transitions to cause that kind of a problem might seem like bad practice, and I'm aware that you can check the 'Allow all statuses to transition...' box, but things sometimes need to be that way (some of this stuff is automated as well - updated by nagios) and believe me, we've gone through the simplification process several times, but one or two steps unavoidably end up with enough transitions that it starts becoming hard to read - and to be blunt, the text version (to me) is very hard to read (though I get why its useful when you start getting used to using it).  

Control + click? smile

2 answers

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2016

I don't think it is possible. I would use the visual editor and try to create a layout that makes it easy to understand. In addition you can click show labels and zoom out if you need more space, then I would make a screenshot and use that for the training/explanation.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Peter T

0 votes
JeffJ May 25, 2016

Oh - if this has already been answered, pretty please point me to it.  I couldn't find anything, but search terms be search terms and maybe I worded it wrong.

Suggest an answer