Adding a user without invitation

Jennifer Melancon February 15, 2018

I want to add some people to assign to upcoming projects. I followed the steps to add them but there is no add button. There is an invitation button, but I am not ready to invite them to this yet. Can I add them without inviting them?

1 answer

1 vote
Danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2018

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, you can. You should have an option when you invite users to Send Invitation Email. If you do not, from User Management instead of clicking invite user, click on the + symbol top left, then invite users. This gives you a slightly different menu for adding users.

If you cannot find it you can use this link:

https://YOURINSTANCE.atlassian.net/admin/users/add

Under Additional Options uncheck Send Invitation Email

Cheers,

Danny

Jennifer Melancon February 15, 2018

When I click on the + symbol, it still makes me do an invite to them. This does not solve my issue. I don't want to invite them until I figure out how to use this software and get them placed first. Also, the link you attached says page unavailable. 

Danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2018

Hi Jennifer, did you see the Additional Options?

Also, did you change YOURINSTANCE to your JIRA URL?

See attached screenshot.

Invite.png

Jennifer Melancon February 19, 2018

Well, I did as you said and unclicked the box. The people still got notifications and emails about it. This was exactly the opposite of what I wanted. There should be a way you can add people without putting their email addresses in and then go back and add that later.

Danny
Atlassian Team
February 20, 2018

Hi Jennifer,

I'm terribly sorry your users received invitations even after unchecking the box. That should not be the case, I will try to replicate it on my Jira and log a bug report if I notice the same results. (Which I don't doubt I will.)

Sending invitations even after unchecking the box completely defeats the point doesn't it!

Again my apologies, but I will follow this up as it surely affects more customers than just you.

Jennifer Melancon February 20, 2018

Thank you. He received emails on everything I did and came to me to see what I was doing and why I was retasking him.

Vignesh Natarajan September 24, 2018

Can we invite the user via APi calls ?

Maurice Faber November 4, 2018

How would it be possible to create a user WITH password? Unticking the notification checkbox is one step to avoid sending emails, but for us that need to create system users like for gitlab integration, there is no fitting documentation anywhere it seems...

Like # people like this
Aaron Reynaldos February 14, 2019

@Maurice Faber did you ever solve the issue? We need to create virtual users, and the current implementation is email-centric.

Paranthaman Natesan December 18, 2019

instead of invite users adding users will be a better use case.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer