Updated Custom field description and values not updating on screen ?

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

I created a custom field called "Change Category" and added it to my screen.  Then I needed to make some edits to the values and description of this field. 

These changes show up when I view the field on the custom field page but the old values still show up on the create screen.  I have performed a reindex which did not solve the problem.  

My create screen

create screen.PNG

The Custom field page

custom fields.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

Hi Pete,

To me this is a bug in Jira, but if you edit the Field Configuration for that project, you can change the description there and it will show up on the screen.

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Hey @John Funk , thanks for the quick reply.  Well I did edit the field config and the descriptions on the create screen updated as you mentioned. 

Unfortunately the values in the field can't be edited there, so now they don't match.  I think I am going to need to delete the field and re-add it making sure I don't need to make any edits going forward.  

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

You can still edit the values in the in Custom Field configuration. You just can't edit the description there. 

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2021

@John Funk , Mine behaves in opposite way, I can only edit description in field configuration.  Or I don't see where to edit the values...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

You should be able to go to settings then issues then custom fields then search for your field. Then click on the three dots and choose default values and configuration. You should be able to change the values under there.

Like mariko.narizuka likes this
Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2021

Got it @John Funk, many thanks again 👍

Like # people like this
Sekhar Chandra January 26, 2022

Hi @John Funk

What do you mean by "edit field config for the project" ?

Thanks.

Chandra

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2022

@Sekhar Chandra  - Go to Settings > Issues > Field configurations

Like # people like this
Jonathan Paul Merino August 10, 2022

Hi @John Funk ,

In my case it doesn't work, create screen still showing previous description. 

Like Leonhard Arndt likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2022

@Jonathan Paul Merino  Did you change the description in the field configuration used by that project and issue type? 

Jonathan Paul Merino August 11, 2022

Got it @John Funk , yesterday it doesn't update but today it's ok.

Thanks.

Like # people like this
Arun Unnikrishnan May 11, 2023

I was able to see the updated description in the issue creation screen after going through this link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changes-to-custom-field-descriptions-are-not-visible-on-the-create-issue-screen-in-jira-server-833986770.html

The description in the custom field is updated but the custom field would have been associated to a field configuration scheme (Default Configuration Scheme by default or others). 

Find the Field Configuration Scheme, click on the Configure, search for the custom field and update the description.  

Like # people like this
Stan Shillis January 24, 2024

Editing field description by accessing it through "Field Configuration Scheme" as described above is the only way it worked. Thank you Arun!

Like Arun Unnikrishnan likes this

Suggest an answer