Logging a defect against a story

Phionah Kyasiimire February 24, 2021

Is it possible to log a defect against a story just like how sub-tasks can be created under a story?

Currently a defect is an issue type, the team has to create a defect then link it to the story.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2021

Hi @Phionah Kyasiimire  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Actually, a sub-task is just an issue type as well. AND, your Defect issue type is probably already created as a sub-task type of issue type and not a standard issue type. If that is the case, then you can create the Defect just like you do a sub-task. 

screenshot.png

Phionah Kyasiimire February 24, 2021

Hi @John Funk  

My story issue type doesn't have an option to create a defect against it

It only has  sub-task, I tried to see if I can change the issue type of the sub-task into a defect hen creating it and it doesn't bring up the option

Trying to paste a screenshot but it's not pasting

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2021

You might need to add the Defect issue type to the Issue Type Scheme being used by that project. 

aagrawal March 1, 2022

Can you elaborate on that.

As requirement is to create a defect directly from the user story screen. For example in Action we have Create Subtask button similarly is there a way we can create a defect directly from the user story to save time in linking.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

@Phionah Kyasiimire  - Any update here? Can you click on the accept answer button to close this one out?

@aagrawal  - You should be able to click on the Create Subtask button and add it. If there is not a list of Sub-task types like Defect, then you need to add a Defect Sub-task issue type to your issue type scheme for that project. 

Suggest an answer