Is there a way to see if a Slack message is linked to a Jira ticket?

Disha Samaiyar June 21, 2019

Let's say that I and a few team mates have written messages in a channel of Slack and we made Jira tickets for them using the Jira cloud features "Create a ticket" and "Add to a ticket". Is there then any way when scrolling through a Slack channel to see if a random message was linked to a ticket (maybe through some Icon)? Because in Jira, we can see that a ticket is linked to a message but not vice versa.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2019

Hey Disha, welcome to the Community!

When you use the "Create issue from" action in Slack to create a new Jira issue, the app should be dropping a notification into the channel that you created the issue from. The notification is visible to all users.

image.png

If a lot of chatting has happened and the message you're creating the issue from is several messages back, it might be difficult to figure out from context where the notification is coming from (or that the previous message was acted on, if you're reading scrollback).

I might suggest using an emoji reaction in that case - maybe a :jira: emoticon on the message. We don't have anything in the integration right now that will automatically mark the message in Slack.

This is an interesting idea though - I'll bring it up with the product team!

Cheers,
Daniel

Disha Samaiyar June 25, 2019

Thanks Daniel! You're right - our channels become extremely convoluted.

The emoji idea did come to mind and I would love an auto-emoji to become a part of the functionality for "Create an Issue" and "Add to an Issue". I believe Stratejos for Jira has this capability. Do keep me posted on if this ends up becoming a feature. For now I'll add a Jira Cloud emoji to slack and our team can manually add them to messages when creating Jira issues.

James_McManamey August 29, 2019

Hey @Disha Samaiyar thanks for taking a look at stratejos. 

You are right, with stratejos you can turn any post into a Jira issue by reacting with an emoji. 

For anyone coming across this thread, you can read more about the feature here. 

Suggest an answer