Is there a way to have a board outside of an spring?

Rodríguez Javi March 7, 2019

I come from devops software and in there you have two Kanban boards. One general board for your project and one board for the sprint. This is really interesting to me since our "stories" have multiple status outside an sprint.

They can be "Ideas", "Validated ideas", stuff we will do "in the future", things already split into small chunks, estimated and in general "Ready" for include them in one sprint, "Being IN the current sprint", "rejected" or "done". 

Then for those in the current sprint you have the know kanban with to do - in progress - done.

I created both boards like this in jira and managed to see stories in one and subtasks in the other and everything is cool ,  but .. I can only see things in my board if they are in the current sprint .. Everything outside of the sprint is only in the list of the backlog ... 

Is there a way to do it? 

PS: Im scrum master and I'm aware that this is not in the scrum guide.. I'm just saying that it proved useful for our team in the past and we'd like to know if there is a way to have those two boards in jira.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2019

Hi Javier,

not sure, if you are on Jira Server or Cloud, as you tagged the question with Jira Core.

Using Jira Software you should be able to create as many boards as you like with exactly the issues you need. Each board is backed by a Jira filter defining the issues to show on the board or the backlog.

To decide which issues are displayed in the backlog & which are shown on the board, you define by issue status to which column a status is mapped to, or if the status  defines a backlog status.

Best

JP

Rodríguez Javi March 7, 2019

AHHHH !!! So you mean that the scrum board I see, that only shows things in the current sprint, is just because the admin set it that way?? He filtered out everything that was not part of the current sprint. But I'm free of doing another board with everything in, in the sprint or not.

Is that what you mean, right ? 

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2019

Yes, that could be your problem. If you are allowed to create boards & filters, you can make a board which e.g. displays all your currently assigned open issues, even if they are in different projects.

We use multi-project boards for teams so see the overall load from service desk issues, project work & personal tasks.

Best

JP

Suggest an answer