How to automatically set a component value when I create a JIRA story?

jessie.yang December 24, 2019

Dear experts,

I owned two JIRA boards that created by others. When I create a new story on one board, the component could be automatically set as the group tag "Waterdrop", however, the component could not be automatically set as the correct value "Interstellar" on another board. Per my check, they have the same configurations, could you please help to suggest how to solve this issue?

The story will be invisible on my board if the component auto set fails.

1.PNG3.PNG

2 answers

0 votes
Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2019

Jessie,

I am a little confused as you are showing identical create screens in the same project and issue type. In what context of creating the issue do you see the component field populated?

I would start by checking the Create transition for your story issue type workflow. See if there is a Post Function  that is doing something to set the Component field.

Hi Andrew, thanks for your response.

I am saying that I hope when I create a new story the component filed could be automatically filled with a default value that I set before. That's why you saw me attached a 'create an issue' page image.

0 votes
brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2019

In the Project settings -> Component

Make the Interstellar as the default value.

This assumes that you are the Jira adminstrator.

Thanks Bryan, I am asking my admin to have a try!

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 26, 2019

Hi @jessie.yang ,

Apologies, I have misread your problem. 

To answer your question, out of the box it will not automatically add the value of any Component when you create the ticket.

Please check if the instance have ScriptRunner / JMWE add-ons installed. 

If so you can visit this link to check if the automation is in place to put the default value in create screen.

For ScriptRunner

• https://BASE_URL/secure/admin/Behaviours!default.jspa?

JWME

• No idea actually.

I'm pretty sure your Jira Administrator should be able to do it.

Suggest an answer