Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What steps are needed to update a team name and still have it sync properly?

Ann Bouvier April 7, 2020

What are the steps needed to update a team name and still have it sync with Jira?

I have a few teams that are changing a bit, people being moved from team to team.  The new team will use the same board in Jira, but want the project renamed and have it reflected in Jira Align.  

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2020

Hi @Ann Bouvier,

As long as the board ID remains the same, the data will continue to sync regardless of name changes.

Are you only renaming the Jira project or are you also changing its key? If you are changing the key, that is a huge no-no - Jira Align won't recognize a key change unless you unmap the old project key and map the new project key. (We discussed this while I was supporting you guys.)

If you are simply changing the Jira project name, then you can go to Administration -> Jira Settings -> Manage Projects Tab and click on the existing Jira project key. When the detail slide out appears, change the  Project Name field to the new name and Save.

To change the team name in Jira Align to reflect a new team name, go to Team -> Manage -> Show All+ -> Teams (or, use the blue search as I know you like to do), search on the existing team name, open the detail slide out and rename the team at the top of the page under the Team ID. Save.

Regards,
Peter

This renaming needs to happen in both Jira and Jira Align i assume?

Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2020

Hi @Ann Bouvier,

Yes. If you are renaming the Jira project, then you would rename it in Jira and rename it in Jira Align (as described above).

Jira doesn't have a team concept (other than as a label), so renaming the existing board to reflect the new team name would also be helpful.

Regards,

Peter

thanks @Peter Jessen 

Like Peter Jessen likes this
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2020

You are always welcome, @Ann Bouvier.

kaushal December 6, 2021

Hi @Peter Jessen

I have received a request to change the project key in Jira. which I did, but when I checked in Jira Align the key didn't changed. The project was still showing up with an old project key. 

So I changed the project key manually in Jira Align.  Now some stories do show up with new project key and some still shows up with an old project key. The old stories are not assigned to project anymore, I have to go and add the stories manually to project. 

Is there any way we can change the project key for all stories so they can sync up with correct Jira project ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events