It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Do i need to physically move my project files to my repo or does it look at other directories?

I am new to bitbucket / git.  So i guess here is a newbie question thats not answered in the basic info i have been absorbing so far.....

I have been working on projects to date without using git version control.

Now i am setting it up and starting the basic steps and have cloned a repo locally, for which i am using the command line rather than Sourcetree.

I want to know whether i have to move my original project files over to my new Repo folder that i created and work on them from there? Or whether the repo can look to other directories instead?  It will help me link how everything all links together.

Thanks in advance...

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Sue,

It sounds like you’re looking to push some existing (non-gitversioned) code to Bitbucket. If that’s the case, this page (https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/importing-code-from-an-existing-project-776640909.html) should be handy. It runs you through how to initialize a folder as a git repository, then how to tell it where your new Bitbucket repository is on the server and push your first commit.

CCM

Huge thank you :)  On the case

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Agile

Webinar: Dean Leffingwell and Steve Elliot present on SAFe 5.0, come ask Dean and Steve questions!

...steemed Steve Elliot (head of product for Jira Align). Agenda: What’s new or changed in SAFe 5.0: Introduction of OKRs Essential SAFe How to achieve true business a...

120 views 0 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you