help with Confluence import.

sn November 8, 2017

hi all,

users of confluence 5.10 server.

We are planning to do an import from another KB to our space.

1. Our version is higher than the KB version so, we are good with that aspect
  2. We want to import to an already existing space in confluence. this is linked to our JIRA. the pages we are planning to import from is also linked to their JIRA. The links will be broken so, is there another way to set the links instead of manually doing them ?
  3. I saw the documentation said small file can be imported through UI. what is considered small ?
  4. how can the user comments and attachments be mapped ?
  5. we dont have a QA to test this. is there a video to help me? im not sure on how much data manipulation will i need to do ?

any input appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2017

You will want to do an XML export.  Make sure you select full export.  This will bring all of the attachments with the site.  Once the export is complete you will want to perform an import.  I would suggest creating a new space and importing all of the exported space into the new space.  You can then clean up any links that are bad.  Once you have the space cleaned up you can then move all of the pages to the KB space.  If the amount of clean up is going to be minimal it would be faster to just import into the KB space and do it there.  If you go this route I would suggest making a new space and doing the import once there before doing it into the KB space.  You can just delete the test import space when done.  To answer your questions.

• You will need to manually fix any broken links.
  • Small files size depends a little on the environment but I would say around 100-200mb.  If you have a lot of attachments it could be more.  I would just test it and if you are not timing out you are good to go. 
  • Attachments and Comments will come over and mapped automatically with a full export.
  • Just create a new space to bring you import into confluence. - https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/import-a-confluence-space-724765531.html
sn November 8, 2017

thanks brant. would i need system admin permission to do this ? i'm only the Confluence admin and nit system admin.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2017

To export a space you will need the export permissions in the space.  To import a space I believe you need to be a confluence admin.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events