Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I delete my own attachments in Confluence, by default?

Christopher Hume September 18, 2019

Has there been any movement on allowing users to delete their own attachments?

There is a bug here.  I am one of our Confluence Administrators; and I have been granted the Privilege to Delete Attachments.

However, Delete link does not appear next to an Attachment - not even for an Attachment that I myself created.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2019

Admin rights do not grant you space rights automatically (but they do give you space admin rights so you can add them). 

The defaults in Confluence are cautious, if you need to delete attachments (or in fact anything else in a space), you need to change the space settings away from the default of "no delete"

Confluence does not have the concept of "my attachments" though - it's all the attachments in the space or none.

Christopher Hume September 18, 2019

Hello Nic,

Within the relevant Team Space, on the View Space Settings Page > Permissions Tab > Individual Permissions Section > Under My Username:

All of the Permissions have been granted and appear with Green Checkmarks.  What more needs to be done?

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher Hume September 23, 2019

Hello again Nic,

The confusion turned out to be due to more than one, similarly named Team Space being involved.  This is a separate question; but is it possible to move one Team Space under another - either that or to have one Project be a sub-project of another?

Thanks,
Chris

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2019

No, there's no nesting of spaces or projects.  The best you can do is move one set of pages from one space to another.

0 votes
Exa Red July 19, 2022

Frankly the default setting of "don't allow deletions" is utterly non-intuitive.  While Confluence is at it's roots a Wiki - it is at the core an equivalent to many other systems that manage content, so is more like a CMS.   Typical users would consider it more like SharePoint or literally any other CMS (of which there are tens if not hundreds).  All of them permit attachments to be removed by default.

I have uploaded a file and then have been told that it can't be uploaded (after the fact; it contains file formats that apparently cannot be shared, though they seem innocuous) and must urgently be removed has been frustrating. 

Finding this default setting and then having to contact an administrator to change the setting has been both time consuming and painful.

At some point in Confluence's past a product manager thought this non-intuitive default setting was a great idea.  It is a product setting / "feature" that is no longer a feature but instead an annoyance due to it's counter intuitive setting and likely virtually all customers change it.

I'd appreciate a Story being raised for this in future Confluence sprints for a Product Manager to review the default setting and check telemetry on the changes that customers make to turn it off.  If more than 30% of users turn it off - then I'd suggest it should be changed to the normal default for any other similar CMS - that is, permit deletes by default.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events