Why am I not able to edit a page title?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Renaming a Page

I have Edit privileges on the page (and am an Administrator).  But when I click 'Edit', it doesn't give me the option to edit the Page Title, only the contents. What are the possible causes why?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer
Davin Studer Community Champion Jun 09, 2016

Here are some questions that would be helpful to know to try and figure out what is going on.

Do you see the title? Is it greyed out? Are there any wonky characters in the page title? Could you possibly post a screenshot?

The text appears in normal font. I can see it and select it, but not edit it. There's nothing unusual about the name.

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 3.23.15 PM.png

Davin Studer Community Champion Jun 09, 2016

And you are positive you cannot edit it. If you click right after "Test Page" and hit backspace it doesn't change? There is no permissions setting in Confluence to restrict editing the page title.

Can you edit the title of any page?

Huh, apparently not.  I'm sure I used to be able to do that.  Is there a configuration setting somewhere that controls it? Or is it browser-specific (I'm on Safari)?

Can you create a page, save it, then edit it and its title?

No, oddly enough. And for the record, I have the same problem on Chrome.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

77 views 3 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you