Upgrading from 3.5.7 to 4.2 issue

we upgraded our test server to 4.2. when we did that all our home space pages are out of wack. We have custom layouts for this that are global across all spaces so they are all out of wack. In 3.5.7 we customized the page layout in admin. So wondering if its reading the code different in 4.2? The programmer who did it is no longer with the company so we are trying to figure out how to fix it. we have panels and columns in each space and they are all shifted to the left. we have a right side bar that is not showing up at all. Is there a way to fix this? I can copy in some of the code if that will help someone answer this. I am not an expert coder but have been working with confluence for the last serveral years so can hopefully answer any questions you might have to be able to help.

Thanks

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
It might be helpful to know if your spaces were using 1 particular space theme. Is the missing right side bar part of the Documentation theme, or some custom element in the page?

The right side bar is part of the custome elements we added into the layout.

We are using one theme across all spaces. I am attaching a sceen shot of what it looks like versus what it should look like. we have a custom page layout for all spaces

If you're talking about the velocity templates, you should get the diffs with the version of confluence you had, reset them, then reapply them.

See these two links:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Customised+Site+and+Space+Layouts

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/85673/customising-confluence-velocity-layouts-should-it-be-allowed

thank you I will try these and see if that works.

So I copied our layouts for the site layouts-main layout. then the contents layout - page layout. And set everything back to default , then create custom and copied them back in and now I have it worse. the right side bar went to the bottom and goes across the page.

You don't copy them back in, you need to reapply the diffs from the original. Will be a lot of work but personally I think this is safer to do with javascript in a plugin, that's how I'm making changes like this going forward.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

477 views 6 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you