Upgrading Confluence 5.2 to 5.8 using XML backup

I have a Confluence 5.2.5 installation running on MS SQL Server 2012 that I want to upgrade to 5.8.x. Can I do this via an XML backup/restore?

Reason I ask, is that I have been unsuccessful with a regular upgrade because of problems with collation changes required in 5.5.3.

In my test environment I did this with the installer/standalone zip upto 5.5.2 and then went from 5.5.2 to 5.5.4 with an XML backup after a clean 5.5.4 install and then used the installer or standalone zips to get to 5.8. Rather than roll back my test environment and attempt this I thought i'd ask if its possible to go the direct route with XML backups.

2 answers

As far as I know, the page ID will change with an XML backup/ restore. This is probably not what you want. We also evaluated this method during an upgrade.

I'm actually worried that I've already lost the watchers that I had when I upgraded to 5.2.5 (see CONF-33769) I think i'll install a parallel new version of Confluence 5.2.5 with an empty database with collation CS_AS and then XML backup restore to it. After that I should be able to just run the 5.8.14 installer from there.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

634 views 21 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you