Upgrading Confluence 5.2 to 5.8 using XML backup

Steve Rhodes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2015

I have a Confluence 5.2.5 installation running on MS SQL Server 2012 that I want to upgrade to 5.8.x. Can I do this via an XML backup/restore?

Reason I ask, is that I have been unsuccessful with a regular upgrade because of problems with collation changes required in 5.5.3.

In my test environment I did this with the installer/standalone zip upto 5.5.2 and then went from 5.5.2 to 5.5.4 with an XML backup after a clean 5.5.4 install and then used the installer or standalone zips to get to 5.8. Rather than roll back my test environment and attempt this I thought i'd ask if its possible to go the direct route with XML backups.

2 answers

0 votes
Steve Rhodes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2015

I'm actually worried that I've already lost the watchers that I had when I upgraded to 5.2.5 (see CONF-33769) I think i'll install a parallel new version of Confluence 5.2.5 with an empty database with collation CS_AS and then XML backup restore to it. After that I should be able to just run the 5.8.14 installer from there.

0 votes
Marco Friedmann October 20, 2015

As far as I know, the page ID will change with an XML backup/ restore. This is probably not what you want. We also evaluated this method during an upgrade.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events