Upgrade Issue

Peter Boyle June 2, 2020

Currently using Confluence 7.4 

Tried restarting server today and got:

Could not load bootstrap from environment
2020-06-02 18:23:47fatalBootstrapException: Unable to bootstrap application: Failed to parse config file: Error on line -1 of document : Premature end of file. Nested exception: Premature end of file.

Then tried to upgrade to 7.5 to solve the issue and got the following:

[Fatal Error] confluence.cfg.xml:1:1: Premature end of file.
An error occurred when parsing your installation directory. Unfortunately the installer will be unable to continue with the automated upgrade.
Finishing installation ...

Not sure why this occurred. Has been working perfectly since original install

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2020

Hi Peter,

Are you running confluence with the correct user? Are the installation and home directory owned / have correct permissions for the confluence user?

Are you able to provide a copy of confluence.cfg.xml (with database details & passwords removed).

Regards

Evan

Peter Boyle June 2, 2020

Thanks You Evan for your prompt response. I did a restore off our daily backups and reverted to yesterdays version. All good now and update to 7.5 is working perfectly.

Again thank you for your prompt response.

Regards,

Peter 

Like Evan Underwood-Harley likes this
Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2020

Glad you got it sorted.

supreetha naidu September 29, 2020

Hi @Evan Underwood-Harley  , 

I have the same issue and all the permissions are correct  i dono why i am not able to update it ?? 

Any help much appreciated 

Thank You

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2020

Hi @supreetha naidu ,

Can you share with me your confluence.cfg.xml file ? (please remove all usernames / passwords / hostnames...etc)

Thanks

Evan

Thank you 

the file is empty !!!

Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2020

Can you copy the old confluence.cfg.xml from the previously version into the updated version and let me know what happens? Assuming your versions are similar there shouldn't be any updates required.

Please also confirm what version you are upgrading from and to?

Okay will try and let you know 

upgrading from 6.15.4 to 7.4.4 version

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events