Unable to view PDF thumbnail in confluence

In conluence unable to preview the PDF thumbnail. People want to have thumbnail view for pdf files.

Please find the attached screenshot for your reference. The attached screenshot thumbnail shows preview for PPT file but doesn't for the PDF file.  

15 answers

what happens if you re-add it to the page?

Again it shows the same. Even i tried with the resize of thumbnail option also.

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jun 07, 2016

This could be an issue with the file. Perhaps the Application Log is telling us an error.

It may be the version of the pdf.  I know that there is no preview for Excels in Excel 97 format.  It must have the new extension - .xlsx

My concern about PDF only. I used Adobe Reader XI version 11.0.16

I have no problem displaying PDFs as links or thumbnails - I can even toggle between either way in the edit screen - refer my screen shots in this posting

Why I cannot preview but only download pdf file?

You must have a bad file format or a problem in the configuration of your Confluence

Try another PDF file from another source?

I tried with simple PDF file of 1-page which doen't more than four lines of text, unable to view the thumbnail view. I wanna to view the PDF thumbnail itself in page like i attached below

Thumbnail PDF.PNG

I wonder if this is a browser issue - what Windows platform, what browser, what version,  what plugins for PDF

Do you have a PDF created by someone else to try?

Windows : Win 7 Professional

Browser : Chrome - Version 50.0.2661.102 m

Attached the PDF file for test purpose

Anyone can figure out this issue...?

Gnanavelu, 

I have the same issue!

Did you happen to find a solution?

Thank you.

what happens when you try to load your PDF here and show as thumbnail?

I have just tried to show your attachment here as thumbnail by selecting the link insert - all I get is a link display option

I can assure you we have lots of PDF and Word documents that display directly as thumbnails

It looks like we can't display PDF/Word attachments in this forum as thumbnails - I just tried to load another test and it doesn't give the option of how to display it

But you might want to try downloading this PDF and try loading that to your system just to see if it is anything to do with your file

What happens when you try to load a Word document to your system?

Same issue with Confluence 5.8.13, anyone found a solution?

The issue I'm experiencing may be the same.  In Confluence 6.0.1 PDF thumbnails fail to load for all users except the first user created for this instance of Confluence.  The thumbnails either show up as a broken link or as it appeared in this thread's example, depending on the browser that I use.  Given that this works for the user that first created the wiki, I assume this is some sort of permission issue, but I've been unable to identify it.  When I follow the image location (not the link to the document, but the actual thumbnail's URL), I receive a Confluence "Page Not Found" error:

Page Not Found

The page you were trying to reach could not be found. This could be because:

• The page does not exist.
  • The page exists, but you do not have permission to view it.

After logging all and poking around a bit more, I see that my issue is centered around a HibernateTemplate error:
execute Not closing pre-bound Hibernate Session after HibernateTemplate

This is occurring during a SQL query that is pulling file details on the thumbnail from the DB. Below is the SQL query that should be executed at that time:
select attachment0_.CONTENTID as CONTENTI1_12_0_, attachment0_.HIBERNATEVERSION as HIBERNAT2_12_0_, attachment0_.TITLE as TITLE4_12_0_, attachment0_.LOWERTITLE as LOWERTIT5_12_0_, attachment0_.VERSION as VERSION6_12_0_, attachment0_.CREATOR as CREATOR7_12_0_, attachment0_.CREATIONDATE as CREATION8_12_0_, attachment0_.LASTMODIFIER as LASTMODI9_12_0_, attachment0_.LASTMODDATE as LASTMOD10_12_0_, attachment0_.VERSIONCOMMENT as VERSION11_12_0_, attachment0_.PREVVER as PREVVER12_12_0_, attachment0_.CONTENT_STATUS as CONTENT13_12_0_, attachment0_.PAGEID as PAGEID14_12_0_, attachment0_.SPACEID as SPACEID15_12_0_ from CONTENT attachment0_ where attachment0_.CONTENTID=? and attachment0_.CONTENTTYPE='ATTACHMENT'

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,096 views 17 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you