The most interesting usage examples of JIRA and Confluence

KN April 1, 2014

Hi guys, although we've been using JIRA and Confluence and happy with them, but we're "only" using them for what they are (i.e. project tracking and knowledge management/collaboration).

I'm curious about interesting use cases for JIRA and Confluence that you guys have that are possibly out-of-the-box, or not really what they were advertised for, but ended up great and very helpful.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2014

For Jira:

1. for Asset inventory. Each asset have issue. Users accept them during inventorying.

2. For new employee comes/leaves company. A set of 10+ subtasks created by workflow, so that nothing is forgotten. (Prepare workplace, overtake GSM contract, create system accounts....)

KN April 2, 2014
Those are great examples! I've read the Asset management use case from Atlassian's blogs, and it seems so great that we are actually doing a proof of concept in our organization as we speak. We're only some 50 strong but we like to make things easier and scalable to when we grow :). The second one, though, is just the kind of idea I was looking for, awesome! Thanks for sharing, Andris!
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2014

Glad to help. :)

1 vote
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2014

Hi Kennie,

I've seen some cases that confluence were used as a document repository, although we say that Confluence is not meant for that.

JIRA can also be used for project management or any other activity that requires tasks workflow.

These links may be helpful to you :)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Use+Cases

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Advanced+and+Special+Uses+of+Confluence

Cheers,

Rodrigo

KN April 2, 2014
Hi Rodrigo, thanks for the links! Why didn't I find them before is beyond me. I see some use cases for JIRA that are interesting with a few that have crossed my mind but had no idea about the feasibility so that's awesome! I can't say I have the same level of excitement for Confluence though. The use cases listed are sort of expected. but great articles nonetheless!
0 votes
KN April 2, 2014
So far I see that JIRA has far more interesting use cases than Confluence. We need some more love into Confluence! I should also add that we are working to use JIRA as our audit tracking, so issues become NCR or findings and we'll use workflows to conform to the standards' (ISO, mostly) resolution flow.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events