Team Calendars for Confluence: Summer Time Bug for Recurring Tasks

Jiri Pik June 26, 2019

If I set up a recurring task which starts every week at 0900 am and ends at 1000 am in June, in the winter, it will be starting at 1000am and ending at 1100am.

This is obviously wrong, not to mention that the starts of the summer time Confluence has may not be correct.

Is it possible to fix this?

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2019

Hello Jiri!

This is happening due to the fact that Team Calendars shows the events based on the user Timezone, not the internal calendar timezone.

This helps when users from different timezones use the same calendar. If You and I worked with a company from Sydney, both of us would be able to use the same Sydney calendar without the need of converting the events date and time for our own timezones.

The calendar also considers daylight saving times to display events to the users so the date and time are still the same for the internal calendar timezone (GMT+2, for example) and is updated for everyone else.

For example:

1. Our main office is in Sydney
  2. All dates and events are based on Sydney's timezone
  3. We have a meeting at 12PM Sydney every Monday
  4. This will be marked as 11PM for me, in GMT-3
  5. And will be marked as 4AM for GMT+2 (Daylight savings considered)

For short we can say that All events take in consideration the internal calendar timezone when scheduling and changing daylight savings.

Let us know if this clears things up for you Jiri!

Jiri Pik June 27, 2019

I am still super-confused, maybe the calendar Confluence's Calendars' Timezone should be labelled as an offset.

But setting the calendar's timezone to +00:00 solved the summer time / winter time different starting times. 

Jiri Pik June 27, 2019

I actually disagree - if I create a recurring task which starts at 0900 in June, then obviously i do not want it to start at 1000 in Winter due to summer time offset.

The 0900 is the actual time, regardless of the summer time offset.

It's like buses or trains. They depart from the train station at 0910 every day regardless of the summer time. 

Can you fix this?

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2019

Hey Jiri!

I do agree with you, we surely want to have the event to happen at the same time.

Let us take the train example you just gave:

1. The train leaves at 9AM every day in GMT-3
  2. For someone in GMT+2, this will be 2PM every day
  3. When GMT-3 goes into Daylight Savings, it effectively becomes GMT-2
  4. For anyone in GMT-3 (currently -2 due to daylight savings) the train schedule is still 9AM
  5. For anyone in GMT+2 (which is not in Daylight savings) the schedule changes, changing to 1PM

In the end, the train schedule is still at 9AM, but the specific calendar Time zone (GMT-3), but changes for everyone else in time zones due to the daylight savings.

This is what is currently happening with the events created in your GMT+2 calendar. For the internal calendar timezone (GMT+2) the date and time for the events remain at 9AM, but everyone else outside that timezone, they have changed due to daylight savings in the internal calendar time zone.

You can check this screenshot that displays this difference. I used the train example here:

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 15.11.07.png

If you need some reference when dealing with different time zones, I personally recommend using the website called World Time Buddy:

Let us know what you think Jiri!

Jiri Pik June 28, 2019

Diego:

I love Confluence and am most happy with it. 

However, I have never seen anything as confusing as the Confluence calendars. In the Outlook calendar, the recurrent appointments work so much smoother with all adjustments done just right. I urge you to simplify all the offsets. 

I think it's a bug - if you prefer, we can have a quick call and I can show you the calendar? Please contact me privately.

Let me repeat a simple example. I live in Zurich. My browser's timezone is Zurich, Switzerland. My Confluence's Calendar's time zone is Zurich, +2 hours. I created a recurring event which started in June 2019 and is happening every week on Sunday at 0900. For unknown reasons, this event is scheduled in December 2019 (no summer time!) to start at 10:00.

This is obviously wrong! 

Jiri Pik June 28, 2019

Diego:

this turns out to be a duplicate of this, so let's move the discussion there.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events