Switching from Microsoft Active Directory to Internal with LDAP Authentication

We are currently running Confluence 3.5, although about to upgrade to 4.2. Right now, we are using Microsoft Active Directory for our authentication, and adding people to a specific AD group to grant access to Confluence. However, our company's Active Directory is very large, and using this method has cluttered Confluence with hundreds of AD Groups that are never used in Confluence. We are also considering whether to use the CSUM plugin to let Space Admins add users to Confluence, but we can't do that with our current setup.

For these reasons, we'd like to switch from Microsoft Active Directory authentication to Internal with LDAP Authentication. The problem I've run into, is when I switch the authentication method, all the current users are lost. We currently have over a thousand users, so re-adding them manually one by one doesn't seem practical. The user names for these users will still be the same, the only difference is that they need to be in the Internal directory instead of AD.

Is there any way to be able to migrate these users to the Internal Directory?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hello Kristyn,

I've took the liberty of creating a KB for that:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Migrating+from+External+Management+to+Internal+Directory

Let me know if this helps you.

Cheers,

Guilherme

Thanks Guilherme! It might be a little while before I get a chance to test this in detail (since we just completed our upgrade to 4.2 in the meantime and are working on other kinks there). However, I'm going to mark yours as the accepted answer and will update this post once I get a chance to try this process.

Thanks again :)

This widget could not be displayed.

You should take a look at this, https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/78076/migrate-from-internal-authentication-to-internal-with-ldap-authentication which describes my issues with going from Internal to LDAP. The reverse of what you want to do, but similar issues.

During this process, the cli plugin will become your friend. :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

229 views 2 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you