Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with paragraph spacing when importing a word document

Andy Bither November 6, 2017

Created Confluence page in two ways:

• Import Word document: When the document is imported into Confluence, the page displays the 3 paragraphs incorrectly with no space between paragraphs.
  • Copied into Confluence editor from the clipboard: Using copy (from Word document), the pasted into the Confluence editor, the page is displayed correctly with a space between each paragraph.

In the XML storage format, the difference is:

• When imported, there is only 1 <p> node with <br /> nodes to delimit the Word paragraphs.
  • When the document is pasted from the clipboard, there are 3 <p> nodes, which causes correct spacing

Losing the paragraph spacing in our documentation is a huge problem because we have many word documents. Word is our source documentation. We are importing it into confluence for web access. To get around the spacing problem, we are using copy/paste to create Confluence pages. However, in this way we lose formatting for colors, images, and hyperlinks.

Fixing the paragraph spacing for Import Word function will be the best solution. Are there any special options that can be set to accomplish this?

2 answers

1 vote
Thomas Kline May 6, 2019

Same problem here.  Huge Problem!

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2018

Andy,

The issue with Word import in Confluence has been logged, and you can follow it here:

We've had further reports of this in the past, but it was closed due to the lack of user interest and reports of the behavior. Therefore, I do recommend that you vote on that issue above, since it helps of keep track of how many users have had this problem. You can also comment there with your feedback and it will be routed to our development team.

As for the XML format, can you let me know what version of Confluence it came from? Into which version of Confluence are you importing?

Regards,

Shannon

Andy Bither January 18, 2018

As of today we are on version 6.6.1. We were using 6.5.2 when we reported the problem. Results are the same.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2018

Hi Andy,

Thank you for confirming. I've added your versions affected to the bug ticket. I also want to thank you for including your thoughts on the bug ticket. It will help to get more eyes on this in case other users are having the same issue.

Take care, and kind regards.

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events