Picture markup

Debbie Britton June 24, 2021

Would appreciate some advice on what is the best app to get for marking up images in Confluence server.  We are looking to add a lot of instructional content within our space with images taken from different systems, marked up with arrows, text boxes, shapes etc, so need the ability to create content that consists of multiple layers (similar to what can be done in Powerpoint) but creatable and modifiable from within Confluence.   I have been looking at Draw.io and Gliffy but the examples tend to show flowchart style diagrams. Is anyone able to offer any suggestions?  Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

Hi Debbie! 

I think both apps, even though they're "diagramming," would work great for this.

In Gliffy, you can drag an image from your desktop into the editor. (Pro tip: you can put that image on its own layer and lock the layer so you don't accidentally move it around. I think that's what you're looking for?)

Then, you can just drag and drop you shapes/arrows on the next layer overtop of the image. I made a super fast example for you.

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 1.07.11 PM.png

We recently did this with our new office's floor plan to map out what areas people should sit in based on their department. :) 

If you decide to start an eval of Gliffy in Confluence, here are a few quick video tutorials that can help you get started with this type of thing:
- How to add a diagram in Confluence
- Using Layers in Gliffy
- How to add your own shapes to Gliffy (which can include product screenshots like I added above)

Other folks might have their own suggestions or there might be a more specific documentation solution, but I do also think Gliffy will work great for this!

Let me know if you have questions,

Samie

Debbie Britton June 24, 2021

Thank you Samie, appreciate you responding so fast.  As soon as you have created the diagram in Gliffy, does it just integrate straight to Confluence i.e. the file doesn't get stored in another location does it?  We are wanting everything to literally be created and stored within the Confluence Space so no more documents stored in multiple locations.  Thanks!

Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

That's correct — it's all created and stored within Confluence. You don't need to log into anything extra or save files in multiple places. :)

Like Debbie Britton likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events