Performance question: more spaces with fewer pages vs less spaces with more pages

Hey, is this making any difference for the performance if I have

more spaces but each one with less pages 

or

less spaces but each with more pages?

We are just setting up our structure and how to migrate and store content in Confluence and I am a bit scared: maybe we start with this structure and everything is fine but later it turns out that this was too heavy (usage will increase by time) and the performance destroys the usability. Any advice?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Accepted answer

There used to be a performance impact with page restrictions, but it's been mitigated substantially. Here are the references:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Page+Restrictions+Performance+Considerations

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-16866

In general I'd recommend organizing your content logically by spaces, just for the information maintenance more than permissions. 

2 votes
Davin Studer Community Champion Jan 12, 2015

I would say the performance is not an issue. The best thing to do would be to organize your content the way it makes sense to organize it rather than the way the system performs the best. Really it should perform fine either way. There are organizations literally with hundreds of spaces that are working just fine.

Agree with Davin. We are one of those companies with hundreds of spaces (and 10's of thousands of individual pages), and things are running just fine. We have left things to grow 'organically' with no great attempt to force things into less or more spaces.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

63 views 3 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you