Installation of Atlassian Companion App under C:\Program Files

Budy Harnata July 16, 2019

On Windows, Atlassian Companion App is installed under C:\Users\<user folder>\AppData\Local\Atlassian Companion\

Is it possible to install it on C:\Program Files\Atlassian Companion\ folder instead?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 18, 2019

Hello there Budy!

The Companion App .EXE installer install the Companion, by default, exactly where you pointed:

• EXE will install it on the %LocalAppData% folder (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\atlassian-desktop-companion)

While the .MSI installer points to a different location:

• MSI will install the software on the %ProgramFiles% folder (usually C:\Program Files\Atlassian Companion)

Which, by following what I understand from your question, is where you want to install this software. Is that correct?

According to our documentation, you can customize where to install the Companion when using the .MSI installer:

We also provide a Microsoft Installer package (.msi file) to deploy the Atlassian Companion app for Windows across multiple users or machines. By default, the Companion app installs to the Program Files directory, but you can customize this.

Here is a pretty straightforward guide on how to customize the installation directory with .MSI files:

When using the .MSI installer for the Companion, we have a few functional differences:

If you deploy using the Microsoft Installer, the Companion app won’t automatically get the latest updates, including security and bug fixes, so some maintenance is required.

For short, the .msi installer should install the file where you need it to be but you will need to keep an eye out for updates yourself.

Let us know your thoughts on this Budy! Looking forward to your reply.

Budy Harnata July 29, 2019

Many thanks, I think I may have downloaded the .EXE rather than MSI.  Many thanks for the great answer!

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2019

Hey Budy! Thanks for getting back to us.

Really glad to know that I was able to help you out.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events