I want to reference a specific TOC entry in a pdf file in a confluence page

I have a confluence page with several large PDF files attached to it and I want to open for viewing specific pages of the PDF files based on TOC entries

6 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Steven Behnke Community Champion Feb 05, 2016

Can you describe your end use-case for us? I'm not sure what to make of this sort of question. smile

we have developed extensive user documentation (400+ pages and 100+ page pdf documents) and installation guides (5 pdf documents @ 40+ pages each) for our products and I would like to be able to get to specific content in these documents directly from a confluence page with a single click (instead of opening the PDF, finding the TOC, finding the topic of interest and following the TOC link to the appropriate page).  I can link to the whole documents and open them easily but linking to specific content in these documents would be an ease of use enhancement.

Unfortunately I think this is impossible. I am looking around but the only way to do this in the past has been to rely on a Adobe Reader syntax of #page=4 appended to the PDF hosted via a webserver. This is not the way confluence is rendering PDFs so even if that was possible still ( don't think it works anymore, perhaps Adobe deprecated it?) Confluence wouldn't be able to access it.

Someone else asked this question and received no answer – https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/214112

The deprecated ViewPPT and ViewExcel macros both let you select a Slide/Tab but the PDF macro doesn't have a similar option.

yeah I had seen the adobe pdf viewer command syntax before and figured that was not going to help and I did read the excel/ppt macros so I was hoping that there would be a similar pdf option but no love there.  thanks for the responses

Hello, all,

I have recently created a feature request for this, due to the last one being closed since there wasn't a lot of activity on it in terms of customer interest and votes.

Here's the feature:

Please vote on it to show your interest and comment with an example of your use case to best understand the need. You can all watch the issue in order to be updated on any progress.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Confluence

Add-on evaluation with confluence templates

Atlassian market place contains number of Apps/Addons which improves the capability of out of the box Atlassian products. It is good to follow a plugin evaluation process before install add-ons. So t...

120 views 12 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you