I am having problems adding a user.

Steven John Kirner January 5, 2018

I can add the use but cannot add the user to any groups inside confluence.  Got any ideas?

I have already tried to add the user via the 'Groups' under 'users and security' on the left hand side but cannot.

Please help,

steve Kirner

801 557 1310

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2018

Hi Steven,

The user will be created in the first User directory (on the list under Confluence Admin>User Directories) to which Confluence has permission to write. Usually any LDAP, Crowd or Jira external user directories are not writable from Confluence, so you can't change an LDAP group by adding a member to it in Confluence, for example.

There is an option to use Confluence local groups with a read-only LDAP user directory. This enables you to define groups in the Confluence internal directory and add LDAP users to them. This is handy for assigning permissions in Confluence without creating groups in LDAP for that. I am guessing this is what you may like to do. To check the setting, edit your LDAP user directory and see:

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 12.06.34 PM.png

I wanted to share this doc in case it is helpful: 

Managing Multiple Directories

I look forward to hearing more about what user directories the users are in and what directory the groups are in.

Please let me know if you see an error message in the browser when you try to add the users to the groups.

Thanks,

Ann

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events