How to link to a Confluence Page from a Diagram?

Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2012

I am trying to research ALL the options for creating diagrams with links to confluence content. Does anyone have a definitive answer that really works?

For this client the Gliffy and Creatly plugins are out - for 500 users and only 3 to 4 that need to create diagrams, the 1:1 licence matching is a killer, so have not tested either to see if it does this.

This option needs to work in both 3.5 and 4.x as the client is upgrading soon.

Options looked at:

Graphviz

+vs

• Would love to use this, as it seems really easy to create diagrams.

-vs

• Not available in 4.x.

Word

+vs

• Easy to use, then upload the document.
  • Add the link to a Shape (not the text in the shape) and it works when uploaded to Confluence.

-vs

• Smart Art does not show up in 4.x (Tested in OnDemand).
  • Links have to be full Confluence links - big disadvantage.

Lucid Charts

+vs

• Seperate Licencing model - so you can get a 5 user licence

-vs

• Not a particularly seamless chart creation process.
  • Not as easy to use as Visio if you are already a visio user.
  • You can add a link to a shape, but it's not clickable when it's in the Confluence page.

Visio Plugin

+vs

• You can use visio.

-vs

• Only works with IE - need I say more :(
  • Not available for 4.x

Any other ideas? How do you do it?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2012

The graphviz plugin generally works on 4+, you should give it a go.

Bob says there are a few issues to fix before he marks it compatible, but generally it works.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2012

Graphviz will be available with a 4.x compatible/tested version as soon as it is approved by Atlassian. The current version will mostly work on 4.x.

1 vote
Carolyn McDonough February 6, 2019

This isn't an answer, it's an additional question: 

It would be so cool if one of these would allow you to use a chart as a data map. For example, if you have a drawing with boxed labeled Data A and Data B both flowing to Data C, wouldn't it be great if you could click any one of the three boxes to drill down and find the relevant link? In the case I have, it's literally 20 data sources and data buckets.

1 vote
Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2012

OK Graphviz is the winner, it is fantastic and easy to use. It produces simple diagrams, but it as "a picture tells a thousand words" that's all you need.

And I worked out how to link to pages

{flowchart}
Box1 [URL="Page for Box 1"]
"Box 2 with space" [URL="Page for Box 2"]
Box1
Box1 -> "Box 2 with space"
Box1 -> "Another Box with no link"
{flowchart}

Works Great
1 vote
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2012

Just as an update to this question. Looking in the marketplace, it looks like Graphviz is now supported through 4.2.12.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/257

Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2012

OK, I've got Graphviz set up now. How do I link to a page from a Graph I tried just [PageName] but that doesn't work.

0 votes
Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2012

Thanks, I am checking it out right now (only on 3.5 at this stage). Ah, damn, just realised it needs server installation. I don't have access to the server, and the people that do are less than useful. :( It will have to wait for another day.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events