How to filter @Mention popup user list

sc September 25, 2019

Dear all,

When writing a page in confluence we need sometimes to mentioned a user using the @ syntax.

The problem we face is that the popup list of users can have different entry for a single user and we would like to be able to get only the user entry which is connected to the AD and not all of them for same user.

is that possible to filter the mention list to reflect only users from AD and not others in order to not get confuse  and if yes how ?

Thanks for help

regards

2 answers

1 vote
Dang Thi Thuy Tien
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2023

Use can use this plugin to restrict the @mentioning to only users in some specified groups, which you can define in the configuration by the app
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1225447/confluence-browse-people-permission?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2019

Hello sc,

Thank you for contacting us about this.

Confluence should show all users in the @ mentions who currently have a license in Confluence. Can you tell me, does the Active Directory user have the exact same username as the others that are appearing in the list? Not the full name, but the username. If the usernames are different, then Confluence will view them as separate users and display them apart from each other.

If the usernames are the same, you might want to run a manual reindex and see if that corrects the issue.

That said, there's no way to filter the results that come up in @ mentions; it will show all Confluence users.

Regards,

Shannon

sc September 27, 2019

Thanks for your reply.

It seams on what we see is that @mention is displaying also deactivated user as shown in my picture below.

Any idea how can it happen ?

regardsimage-2019-08-06-12-57-23-358.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2019

Hello,

Apologies for the delay. If you run the Reindex, does the issue persist? Are you able to see the two instances of that user in the Confluence database? Was the 2nd copy of the user deleted at some point and not deactivated? Have a look at the articles below for information on some queries you can use to do that:

Please also confirm with me your Confluence version.

Thank you!

Regards,

Shannon

sc October 15, 2019

Running re index does not help

I cannot see in user table DB the two instance of that user.

Confluence version is actually  6.15.9 

Querry from link you mention return correct user data, no duplicate

Any idea ?

Thanks for your feedback

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 16, 2019

Hello @sc,

In that case, it can be that the user was deactivated only in Confluence but still remains as an artifact in your UI.

Can you go to your Users & Groups section in Confluence admin and search for that user? See if they come up 2x there. If they do, just make sure there's not any important data tied to that 2nd user, and then you can deactivate them there.

Regards,

Shannon 

sc October 16, 2019

Hello @Shannon S ,

I noticed that most users which gets displays in @mention gets also fetch  from the Unsynch user tab of user management

I have check from database in order to delete those, but sounds not so easy from simplpe querry as there are quite many contraints in place with other tables like LABEL and CONTENT.

Is there a way from the UI to make a Bulk delete of those users ?

regards

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 17, 2019

Hello @sc,

So from what I understand, users listed in the Unsync tab, they are appearing in user mentions? Do you find the duplicates when you search under User Management in general? Can you disable the users there?

I wouldn't recommend deleting the users, this can cause too many issues with Confluence content. It's not possible to bulk delete them in the UI currently for that reason, but we do have a feature request for it below:

• CONFSERVER-57857 Provide the functionality to perform bulk delete for unsynced users

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

sc October 17, 2019

Hello yes, I can see the duplicate in user management but not able to desactivate them from there.

The first user for instance in attached picture is causing issue and would need to be deleted or deactivated

if you said it is not advise to delete unsyn user, what should I do then to desactivate them from DB ?

2019-10-17_10-43-58.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 18, 2019

Hello @sc,

Thank you for following up with that information.

Could you go to the View User screen for that duplicate user and let me know what directory it has listed for it? Does it belong to the directory where you disabled it, or some other directory?

You can delete the user if there is no content for that user. If you attempt to delete a user which had content, then you will have an error message. If you were to deactivate the user on the AD side, sync it, it would delete from the server but show their posts as Unknown User. 

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events