How to export users from one Confluence 5.9.7 and import to a another Confluence 5.9.7 Edited

I want to export users from one Confluence 5.9.7 instance and import to another Confluence 5.9.7. and I don't have Export button . From what I've read, the Import/Export Button is available from  version 5.10 above.

Thank you

1 answer

Hi David,

I am curious about your project. I may be able to help if I understand the use case better.

• Are you merging two instances with disparate user bases via space import/export?
  • Are the users all Internal Confluence users or do some originate in Crowd or LDAP?
  • Do the users being imported have content on the destination instance that they need to be associated with?

Crowd has the ability to pull Confluence users directly from the Confluence database; after the users are in Crowd they could be synchronized over to Confluence.

There is not an export users btton in Confluence server. We have this workaround for exporting to CSV:

How to Export User Data to CSV in Confluence

But importing the users to the new instance will require some scripting, for example using the CSV Command Line Interface (CLI)

Hi Ann,

I have 2 Confluence instances 5.9.7 and I have to migrate Confluence1 instance to Confluence2 instance. This will imply to export all the spaces and all the users from first instance to second instance in order to merge all the spaces and users on the second instance.
The first Confluence instance has 2 User Management directories:
-Jira Server Directory (Attlasian Crowd Type )
-Confluence internal Directory (Internal Type )

I've noticed that both Confluence Instances have External User Management set to OFF and I guess that in the past was used Crowd for user management, but at the moment I'm not aware of anything related to Crowd, I don't have any credentials or URL to access Crowd, and I don't think that exists anymore.

The second Confluence instance has only one User management directory:
-Confluence internal Directory (Internal Type )

At the moment the users that have to be imported have no content on the Destination Confluence instance. After I'll import all the spaces from first Confluence to second Confluence instance that will be the destination instance the imported users will be asociated with their spaces.

Until now, I managed to export the spaces into XML files and imported in the destination Confluence.
Regarding users export I just found a plug in that will created the users on the destination Confluence based on the export CSV file form the first instance

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.artemistech.confluence.plugins.bulkuserupload/server/overview

Thank you, 

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

356 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you