How to enable inline comments? I can't add them.

Stuart Burnfield May 28, 2021

Is there some setting to enabling inline commenting?

I do what it says in the Confluence docs and what I see people doing in videos and it flat out doesn't work for me (or for a colleague).

• I highlight some text on a page: no Comment button appears above the highlighted text.
  • I personally have Add and Delete commenting perms and I'm an Admin in this space.
  • My Text Select setting is enabled.
  • Page comments work fine.

In the forums there are several threads about working with comments once they're added and known problems with commenting within some macros, but neither of those applies here. I just can't begin to add an inline comment anywhere on the page.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stuart Burnfield June 1, 2021

I received a similar tip to Nicolai's about the Confluence Inline Comments system add-on, which led to the solution. "Inline Comments" was already enabled, but another system add-on, Confluence Like, was not. Without the Like plugin inline comments don't work.

So if inline comments don't work for you, ask a Confluence administrator if both the Confluence Inline Comments and Confluence Like system add-ons are enabled. If not, enable them and restart Confluence.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Debra Graham February 8, 2023

Are you sure that Confluence Like is related?  We have Confluence Like enabled but sometimes the inline comments work and sometimes not.  

Like Ute Schäfer likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolai Sibler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2021

Hi @Stuart Burnfield ,

has any other user in your instance ever successfully added an Inline Comment?

Your Confluence Administrators may have disabled that feature, so maybe it's worth asking them.

Kind regards,

Nicolai

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2021

Which browser are you using? I would investigate in different browsers before I dig in.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events