Has anyone had trouble with inline comments on images in Confluence?

Aram Ghanimian September 21, 2017

My users are trying to use inline comments on images. The option appears and they are able to fill in the field, but the comment doesn't save. They can save inline comments for selected text. I haven't restarted Confluence yet. Is this possibly an indexing issue?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2017

Hi Aram,

Which version of Confluence are you on? I'm highlighting an image on my instance, but I don't even get the option to add an inline comment until I select some text.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Aram Ghanimian September 22, 2017

I am on 5.8.10. I'll see about getting some screen captures.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2017

Thank you, Aram - can you let me know also which browser this occurs in?

Are you able to tail the Confluence logs and see what error is showing? 

Lastly, does the inline comment appear after doing a hard refresh of the page a few times?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Aram Ghanimian September 25, 2017

Delete comment in pic error.png

So this error came up after I tried to delete a comment I just created, before closing the picture window.

When I hard refresh, the comments box is empty.

I haven't been able to tail the logs just yet. Mostly because I don't know what I am looking for, but since I have a screen cap now, and a timestamp, I should be able to detect something.

And I am using Chrome, Firefox, and IE. Just to make sure it wasn't a browser issue.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 26, 2017

Hi Aram,

Thank you. The inability to delete the pinned comment is another issue here:

With your screenshot, I can see you're referring to the pinned comments within an attachment. Is this correct?

I can see two issues that seem similar to your problem adding the comments:

However, the first bug doesn't really say under which conditions does this occur, but it does show that you're not alone in this issue.

The 2nd issue refers specifically to anonymous users, but I believe your issue is that all users cannot add comments to attachments? Is this correct? Is it 100% of your attachments as well? Lastly, I've seen a few cases similar to this where after the attachment was reloaded several times, the comment appeared, which is likely to be an indexing issue.

Once you are able to tail your logs and replicate the issue at the same time, we'll be able to see what the actual error is.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon 

Aram Ghanimian September 26, 2017

Hi Shannon,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to help out.

I think I am going to treat this as an indexing issue and rebuild the index this coming weekend. This will be a hard rebuild. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Regards,

Aram

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 27, 2017

Aram,

Thank you for the update. Just let me know if you have any trouble or make progress!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events