Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to personal space doesn't automatically go to Home page

Deleted user September 25, 2014

I have Confluence 5.5.6 and recently upgraded from Confluence 4.3

When I clicked on go to "Personal Space" I used to go to the space homepage from the person.

Now I end up in the profile (same as "go to profile").

Is there a setting for this?

How can this be solved?

I want people to be able to easily go to the homepage of a personal profile.

Also when I click on a user in the results from the default searchfield.

Any ideas?

6 answers

3 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2014

Hi Andrew,

This issue is due to a Confluence Profile plugin that is enabled on your end. This plugin is bundled with Confluence but disabled by default as it is still work in progress. Please refer to our bug report here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-34656

Please disabled the mentioned plugin and you should be able to access the user personal space without issue from the profile page.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra 

Fred Bunting September 29, 2014

Hi Septa, According a comment by Olli Nevalainen on that ticket (CONF-34656), that plugin was shipped with Confluence 5.3.4, but "It has since been removed in Confluence 5.5" ... so it would appear not to be relevant to Andrew's problem (as he has 5.5.6).

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2014

Hi Fred, That is absolutely correct, which is why my answer was unaccept, and I proceed to vote up yours instead. I also mentioned this in my comment below.

2 votes
Fred Bunting September 25, 2014

I don't believe there is a way to change this ... and that the reason it works this way is so that there is not a different result depending on whether the user does or doesn't have a Personal Space.

When you go to People and click on any name, you end up in their profile.   On the profile page there will be a link for Personal Space, and that will take you to their home page.  (Of course, if the person does not have a Personal Space, then there will be no such link.)

Are you seeing a link that says Personal Space that does not take you to their home page?  (If so, where?)

Incidentally, one workaround is this.  Instead of going to People, go to Spaces > Space Directory > Personal Spaces.  All the links there will go to Personal Space home pages.

Update: Based on Andrew's follow-up question and comments, he was referring to the behavior in the QuickSearch box.  Again, I don't believe there is a way to change this in Confluence 5.5. 

Here is what is happening:  When you type a person's name in the Quick Search, it treats it just like any keyword search ... it does a quick search for that 'phrase' (the person's name) in page names, and displays a pull-down menu.   Since that also happens to be an exact match for a space name (the person's Personal Space), it displays a link to that space at the bottom of the pull-down menu.  Unfortunately, a link to a personal space (rather than a page) takes you to the user profile (as I mentioned above).   There is no way (as far as I know) to change this in Confluence 5.5.

However, if all users adopt the convention that their home page includes, or (better) is their own full name, then that page should come right up to the top of the QuickSearch pull-down menu.

1 vote
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2014

Hi all,

This is indeed something that was develop by design. However, we do understand that it may cause misunderstanding and some of our customer prefer to profile to be combine with personal space instead of separately. Please review this feature request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-31968

Vote on it and address your concern directly into it. I also added this Answers thread to the feature request to make sure our dev are aware of it.

Regarding quick search result, I create another feature request for this here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-35119

Same as the above, vote on it and please address your concern directly into it.

Hope it help.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra 

Thanks, Septa!

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2014

My pleasure Fred.

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2017

I don't have permission to see 
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-31968 Septa. Thanks, M.

0 votes

Ah ... what was not clear from this is that you were referring to the behavior in the Quick Search box. (You clarified this in your followup below.) I have updated my response.

0 votes
Julia Wester [Wittified]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2014

I don't think that natively you can change the destination when you click on a user name on a page in Confluence. You'd have to touch the code or find a plugin that might do this for you (if it exists). Not everyone has a personal space so there would have to be some conditional logic to check and then decide the destination URL so you'd have a mixed user experience.

0 votes

Hi,

Thans for your response.

Do you know which of these 4 it is? the name doesn't match

https://www.dropbox.com/s/no0puixdtuube8v/Screenshot%202014-09-26%2011.45.10.png?dl=0

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2014

Hi Andrew, It seems that I misunderstand your question, I sincerely apologise if that is the case. Could you please elaborate on more detail regarding what you meant by "Click go to "Personal Space". How did you click it? It could be a bug, however please note that in 5.5.6, Confluence will directed you to user profile when you search and find the user using quick search.

please note that in 5.5.6, Confluence will directed you to user profile when you search and find the user using quick search. This is indeed what I have and what I would want differently. I want people to go to the personal homepage instead.

Kay Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2014

I also would like to be able to go directly to a personal home page instead of a profile.

To answer Andrew's followup ... it is none of those four plug-ins. Septa was referring to a plug-in that was in Confluence 5.3, and that plug-in was removed in Confluence 5.5 (according to the JIRA ticket Septa linked).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events