Favicon in browser address field?

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2013

Hi all,

We use Confluence 4.3.6 and replaced the favicon. The customized favicon is displayed in the browser tabs of Firefox 18 but not in the URL field. Is it supposed to work there also?

Internet Explorer 9 does not apply the customized favicon at all. Any ideas?

Thanks, Evelin

2 answers

2 votes
PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2013

Dear Evelin,

The favicon very often gets cached in browsers and in most cases only emptying browser cache and locally stored content completely solves such issues. Could you give it a try and see if that helps?

Cheers,

Peter

0 votes
Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2013

Hi Peter, yes I deleted all history that I could find in Firefox as well as in IE. Now, I tried also Chrome. Firefox and Chrome display the favicon in the browser tabs, but not in the address field. IE does not apply it at all.

Evelin

PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2013

just to clarify, were you using this as a reference when setting the favicon? https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Changing+the+Confluence+Browser+Icon,+aka+favicon

another clue could be to use the following article as reference to force the update (using custom HTML): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2208933/how-do-i-force-a-favicon-refresh

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2013

Yes, we used the guidelines, but I checked the icon once more and found out it's not 8bit.

I tried this in Internet Explorer and it worked:

1. type in www.yoursite.com/favicon.ico
2. push enter
3. ctrl+f5
4. done
*5. Restart Browser (IE) *

So far, it did not work for Chrome and Firefox, but I will try some more things later.

Thanks for the help, Peter!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events