Excel can open on some pc's, others not. Any idea why?

john.pfotzer@verizonwireless.com June 17, 2015

Some pc's can open and edit an excel doc, others can't. Any idea why this may be?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2015

What errors do you get?  Or if there's no actual error, what are the symptoms?

john.pfotzer@verizonwireless.com June 17, 2015

those of us who can not open it get:

Foxfire or Internet Explorer is required to use this feature.

I am using IE 11, and confluence 4.2.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2015

Hmm, now that's an interesting one. First, Confluence 4.2 doesn't support IE, so that's going to be an issue, and you're probably on too high a version of Firefox too. Second, I've a niggling feeling that certain calls are needed to do the direct open-in-office, and some browsers are shutting them down for security and obsolescence reasons (Chrome is ahead on this one - NPAPI calls were binned a while ago) Third https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-30739 was logged for Confluence 5.2, but may well apply to earlier versions too.

Pelagia Papoulidou June 18, 2015

We following these instructions and now are able to edit excel and docs with Chrome. It is really useful and quite easy! http://kb.interworkscloud.net:80/display/shareit/10912819/WEO2f3c554cbe1c49baa03dd8f73512a9eeXJT Pelagia

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2015

And defunct, as Chrome will be binning those calls completely soon.

Pelagia Papoulidou June 18, 2015

we know, but still had to do something in the meanwhile!

0 votes
john.pfotzer@verizonwireless.com June 24, 2015

NIC: I did download firefox and the web dav plugin. Now excel works perfect on my page. I can make updates and they are saved on my confluence page. Yeah!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events