Edit in Office with Chrome Browser

Sebastian Rublewski February 10, 2013

Hi everybody,

I have the follwing question: I use 2 browers to access my confluence.

Chrome: My browers of choice... only problem I can not edit MS Office documents by using "edit in word" it tells me I need Firefox or IE.

IE: Does not support drap and drop it says it needs google gears which have been closed since 2011.

Any idea how to get drag & drop into IE or is there some way to use chrome to open "edit in word"

1 answer

1 vote
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2013

Hi there,

I believe in order to get drag and drop in IE you would need to use the Google Chrome Frame, but I'm not aware if this would disrupt the use of the Edit in Word functionality. I believe it would still work but I can only recommend that you give it a try and see whether they work together.

However, I'm not sure of any way to get Edit in Word working with Chrome, so in your situation I would investigate using IE with Google Chrome Frame.

All the best,
John

Sebastian Rublewski February 10, 2013

Hi John,

I did try out what you said which makes since this is the continuing project of gears, but no sucess =( and it works side by side since I can still edit the documents from word. Maybe I'll take a look at firefox then.

and thanx for the quick reply!!! good stuff!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2013

Chrome frame does break edit in office functionality. But this is a fairly simple fix in the browser detection logic for the edit in office plugin... not sure what the holdup is on this. There is more info on the bug about editing office docs in chrome (which is probably a huge task to make work).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events